• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Opty Blade Severs $12.99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats a bangin deal. Wow.

Cooling? Are there not two heatsinks on the CPUs?

Good thing I have some old servers in house (office) that have the ECC ram!!! I may jump on this!

EDIT: No ecc ram ehh? Hmm.....

Thats a bangin deal. Wow.

Cooling? Are there not two heatsinks on the CPUs?

Good thing I have some old servers in house (office) that have the ECC ram!!! I may jump on this!

EDIT: No ecc ram ehh? Hmm.....

Wait, they don't use ECC RAM?

Didnt say so in the description...it could be wrong of course.

Yeah it does say. DDR 2700 ECC, which is somewhat affordable. To me this is only worth it over an athlon x2 seperate build (similar pricepoint) if you want several on a rack or something, or unless you really want a dual core amd64 setup with ecc.

I only saw this at first LOL:

Memory Type: DDR SDRAM
Number of Memory Slots: 8 x 184 Pin DIMMs
Supported RAM speeds: 533 MHz • 400 MHz
Max Supported RAM: 16 GB

NOw I see, in bold what you said.. haha!

I worked with that same motherboard. It does take ECC RAM. 512mb of ECC DDR1 ram is about as much as 4gigs of DDR3 1333 :p.

Quantity: One motherboard, 2 AMD Opteron 2GHz CPUs and power supply (see pictures)

I would jump on one or two for SETI if it came with enough ram and a big enough hdd for linux plus BOINC, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy that, a hard drive, ram, and fans.

Edit: And madhatter, where can I get 4gb of DDR3 ram for under $25?

Edit #2:
US $19.12

United States

UPS Ground

:( Still only like $33 though

Last edited:
Opteron 248s? So, single core, two of, 2 GHz. Would be outrun by any Athlon or Athlon II X2, and trounced by any X3 or X4.

I don't think they're worth the electricity to be honest.

Two Gigs of ECC for $26:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-512MB-PC2700-..._EN_Networking_Components?hash=item45efa0dbef

Problem is, the costs add up.

$12.99 for the sever
$16.36 for the shipping
$26.00 for 2 gigs of ram
$50.00 for a HD

So the system will run you $105.35 give or take. :(

Frankly, unless you NEED a rackmount server, this isn't that great a deal. Frys has sempron/mobo dual core setups for $60 that would probably be faster after a touch of ocing.

Last edited:
What this would make is a wicked cheap "specialty mod" setup :) Installing that into a piece of furniture would not be difficult at all :)

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. The only real advantage it has is the PCI-X slots, meaning you can use the older kind of SCSI and SATA controllers, which are dirt cheap and in great abundance on eBay.

OTOH, it would almost be worth the price just for the 1U PSU and heatsinks...

Two Gigs of ECC for $26:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-512MB-PC2700-..._EN_Networking_Components?hash=item45efa0dbef

Problem is, the costs add up.

$12.99 for the sever
$16.36 for the shipping
$26.00 for 2 gigs of ram
$50.00 for a HD

So the system will run you $105.35 give or take. :(

Frankly, unless you NEED a rackmount server, this isn't that great a deal. Frys has sempron/mobo dual core setups for $60 that would probably be faster after a touch of ocing.

Add another ~$50 for 2 heatsinks if you're not rack mounting it. Emailed the guy about just adding a few fans to the current heatsinks, his response was:

Adding a cooling system to this would definitely require some customization on the board. There are no holes or anything to mount a fan.

Can't tell if there are screw holes for mounting a heastsink on the motherboard though.

Update: I know you're probably gonna say it's not worth it, but I figure I could find a way to secure a few fans to the heatsinks, and a friend of mine is willing to give me an old 80gb IDE drive, so I'll get one under one condition. I was wondering if the motherboard supported dual core CPUs or atleast compatible with the high efficiency Opterons. I emailed the seller and he just sent back what's already listed on the web page, although he said they got them working with the 2.6ghz opterons.

Last edited:
Opteron 248s? So, single core, two of, 2 GHz. Would be outrun by any Athlon or Athlon II X2, and trounced by any X3 or X4.

+1.

This being said, I'll still admit that I run a dual Opteron 280 server for the sole reasons that I had the board already and SMP computing is fun. :)

As for this system, I think it will take dual core Opterons, I know the chipset itself is capable of it and Rioworks has a decent reputation from what I remember. Opteron 265's will run you about $15-20 + Shipping each, and you can get Opteron 280's for around $30-40 + Shipping each. You will have to spend a great deal more for Opteron 285's or 290's, and I don't think either is worth it. These prices are for used CPUs off Ebay.

Looking at the picture it's hard to say but I think regular S940 heatsinks are compatible. However, I think you would have to buy the plastic S940 Heatsink brackets that go around the socket in order to do so. Also, you would have to invest in a SSI EEB compatible case, and I'm sure the 350W PSU included is extremely noisy due to it's size, so add a PSU to the budget as well.

All in all, I don't think this board is the best option if you want a Dual Opteron system. It has no SATA or PCIE support, and Geeks.com has Asus K8N-DRE boards for $19 with more useful features. It's something nice to tinker with, but it's not really a good investment with so many other options available.

Back