• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you free up drive letter B:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The above x: drive is a normal hard disk drive. It is not a removable disk drive/USB/sdhc.
The crux of what I have been saying is u may have an additional spot in ur bios which must be set to get this to work for u.

I do not have a floppy installed in my system and am able to use drive letter A/B?!

FBR.HDD.01.jpg

Is that in xp? I'm guessing it's in vista/7 based on the theme. His problem is with xp, and I don't think it can be done, without really hacking at windows. From what I'm looking up it seems that B: is remapped to A: if only one floppy is present. Although the drive letter B: isn't active. So it seems with one floppy windows still locks out B: by just remapping it to the already existing floppy.

I can try this in either operating system, I'm interested if it can be done.

The problem with his post is that he didn't specify if X was an internal hard drive. We already know this can be done for removable/external drives.

X = internal hard drive.

EDIT

I can try this same thing in Windoze XP, because my X: = XP hard disk for benching. However, I'm trying to set records for myself for not rebooting a workstation. Right now I'm on 82+ days, I'm shooting for 90, once I hit this threshold, I will be performing maintenance/backup and can certainly test this issue.

Post#23 said:
The above x: drive is a normal hard disk drive. It is not a removable disk drive/USB/sdhc.

Last edited:
Oh I missed the part where you said that. OK so this can be done in Windows 7 or Vista for sure then, I'll test this myself.

I guess the question now changes to whether this can be done with A still being the drive letter for an active floppy drive. I guess we established that this can be done if you disable the floppy disk controller (FDC) on the onboard devices screen and also set both A: and B: to None on the disk setup screen.

By simply disabling the floppy in BIOS, you can assign either A or B to an internal hard drive in Windows 7.

But I guess not in Windows XP?

Back