• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) OC Report

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok guys i did COLOR="Red"]test 8COLOR] last night

I'll call one stick A and the other B.

All my test was done on these settings:

vDIMM ref voltage: Default
vDIMM: 2.6V
REF clock: 264 Mhz
DRAM clock: DDR400
CAS: 3.0
Row cycle time: 7 clocks
Row refresh cycle time: 12 clocks
Min. RAS# active time: 8 clocks
RAS# to CAS# delay: 4 clocks
RAS# precharge time: 4 clocks
RAS# to RAS# delay: 2 clocks
Write recovery time: 3 clocks
Write to read delay: 2 clocks
Read to write delay: 4 clocks
DRAM command rate: 1T
Read preamble value 5.5ns
Max. async latency value: 9.0ns
Bank interleaving: Enabled
Burst length: 4 beats
DRAM drive strength: Normal drive
Force 64-bit mode always: Enabled
R/W queue bypass counter: 8
Bypass max: 4
Idle cycle limit: 16 cycles
Dynamic idel cycle count: Enable
MTRR mapping mode: Continuous
32bit DRAM memory hole: Disabled

Ambient temps: 33.5C
RAM temps (with fan): 40.0C - 42.0C
RAM temps (without fan): 55.0C

this is my results:

A+B in DIMM 1 & 2
pass 1: 40 errors (with fan far away)
pass 2: 5 errors (with fan)
pass 3: 5 errors (with fan)

so i tested one stick at a time to see if it was actually the memory and these are results:

A in DIMM 1
pass 1: 0 errors (with fan)
pass 2: 0 errors (with fan)

A in DIMM 2
pass 1: 12 errors (with fan)
pass 2: 18 errors (with fan)

B in DIMM 1

B in DIMM 2

this concludes that both sticks are fine seen both can atleast pass the test in DIMM 1. but its real weird that A cannot pass DIMM 2, but B can pass DIMM 2 perfect. maybe the stick is just really chosey. computers are really weird.

so now i try A in DIMM 1 and B in DIMM 2 since A can pass DIMM 1 and B can pass in DIMM 2.

this is where the problems start again.

A in DIMM 1 & B in DIMM 2
pass 1: 2 error (with fan)
pass 2: 2 error (with fan, i tried R/W queue bypass counter at 16 in this pass)
pass 3: 1 error (with fan, i tried R/W queue bypass counter at 16 in this pass)

what is going on? i have no idea could another help me out? the fan seems to help out but there's still errors. howcome when i run 1 RAM at a time is works fine, but in dual channel it doesnt?

please help, thanks guys

I figured I would chime in here as well, seeing as how I have a pair of this ram. I have it set at 3-4-4-8, 1T, 2.6v in my bios, and can get it up to 255mhz only. 257 will cause me not to boot :(

I haven't tweaked them any further yet, especially since I do not understand most of the settings outside the "basic" ones (as above.) I may try using some of the settings from the screenshots in this thread though, and read up on it more.

Chaos_Being said:
I figured I would chime in here as well, seeing as how I have a pair of this ram. I have it set at 3-4-4-8, 1T, 2.6v in my bios, and can get it up to 255mhz only. 257 will cause me not to boot :(

I haven't tweaked them any further yet, especially since I do not understand most of the settings outside the "basic" ones (as above.) I may try using some of the settings from the screenshots in this thread though, and read up on it more.

Have you tried 2T? Often, when you start to get higher HTT speeds, you have to drop the command rate.

Actually yes (I forgot to mention it,) I tried 2T as well as 2.625v, and could not boot with either setting. I'm currently focusing on testing out my cpu's oc potential, however if I decide that I think I can push it further, I'm really going to have to try to push my RAM first, as I am already running it at 255mhz. Perhaps 2.65v would do it, or maybe I just have to relax some timings- that is, if relaxing the timings some won't defeat the purpose of gaining some extra mhz on the cpu.

Chaos_Being said:
Actually yes (I forgot to mention it,) I tried 2T as well as 2.625v, and could not boot with either setting. I'm currently focusing on testing out my cpu's oc potential, however if I decide that I think I can push it further, I'm really going to have to try to push my RAM first, as I am already running it at 255mhz. Perhaps 2.65v would do it, or maybe I just have to relax some timings- that is, if relaxing the timings some won't defeat the purpose of gaining some extra mhz on the cpu.

you got to try both settings and benchmark both to get the better.

could you try setting your ram to 2.5Vdimm? ive set mine at 2.5Vdimm and it works better. dont know why. (maybe too much burning in:p). i just wanted to know if you can run it on 2.5 aswell

Back