• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandriva Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_Wilson

Hard Working Member
I'm curious, back in the day Mandrake was pretty popular around here and used to be talked about frequently but I have not really seen much action recently. What I am curious about is if anyone here still uses Mandriva Linux? Has anyone tried Mandriva 2007? Would anyone like to know my experience with Mandriva 2007?

We are always interested in peoples experiences with distributions... I personally have not run Mandravia for a long time simply because I do not like the RPM package format.... It appears however that you are running it, what made you decide to use this distro and are you pleased with it.

I tried Mandrake before it was Mandriva and liked it a bit more than some others.
My favorite distro, PCLINUXOS is based on Mandriva, but uses apt. I strongly recommend trying it!

UnseenMenace said:
We are always interested in peoples experiences with distributions... I personally have not run Mandravia for a long time simply because I do not like the RPM package format.... It appears however that you are running it, what made you decide to use this distro and are you pleased with it.

Yes, I am using Mandriva 2007 since early October, right after release. I picked it up because Mandrake/Mandriva is the disto I have the most experience with so I guess it is a comfort thing. So far, I am very happy with it because it is very stable and reliable with a ton of features. I think this has to be their best and most trouble free release in a long time.

What is it that you have against RPM format?

Misfit138 said:
I tried Mandrake before it was Mandriva and liked it a bit more than some others.
My favorite distro, PCLINUXOS is based on Mandriva, but uses apt. I strongly recommend trying it!

Yea, I have heard of PCLinuxOS for several years but never really looked to deep into them. How often do they release versions? Does their current version support Jmicron IDE controller on the Intel 965 boards? How does apt improve things?

I tried mandrake when I was first getting into linux and didn't like it. I did like debian, but I settled on Gentoo (although I'm exploring kubuntu now that I'm stuck on dial-up).

i have been thinking about trying linux and was going to go with Mandriva Linux 2007 Discovery would this be a good way to get my feet wet?

S_Wilson said:
What is it that you have against RPM format?

I was origionally a major SuSE user and embraced this distro from 7 untill 9 and prior to this I played a little with redhat and mandrake... The problem I have with RPM is that I personally find it a little flakey. I personally encountered more dependency problems with RPM than DEB.

The biggest thing I dislike about RPM is that when there is a issue it only states the required dependancy and makes no effort to tell you what packages contain the required dependancy unlike DEB which has package that is more consistant as it recommends packages that include the dependancy type required.

Turtle Shell said:
i have been thinking about trying linux and was going to go with Mandriva Linux 2007 Discovery would this be a good way to get my feet wet?

That is a good way as it is aimed at new users but a better way would probably be to get Mandriva One which is a live CD with installer. The live CD allows you to get a working desktop to explore and if you like it then you can install it. If you want to go deeper then get the Discovery edition which will have support.

I suggest for the best experience and ease of use to stay away from the 64bit stuff right now.

Mandriva One download page

S_Wilson said:
Yea, I have heard of PCLinuxOS for several years but never really looked to deep into them. How often do they release versions? Does their current version support Jmicron IDE controller on the Intel 965 boards? How does apt improve things?

About every 4-6 months in my experience.
As for your hardware requirements, I just know that out of every distro I have tried PCLOS has the best hardware detection by far. If you like, check out www.theloveoflinux.com -they have a pretty good, tested hardware database there that I would encourage you to use..especially after you have tried the distro on your box, so others can use your experience too. :)
Apt is a great package tool which is better than RPM. I believe Mandriva is an RPM based distro, whereas PCLOS uses apt. Synaptic, (apt frontend) is very easy to use (just point and click) and does all the work for you.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7

Misfit138 said:
About every 4-6 months in my experience.
As for your hardware requirements, I just know that out of every distro I have tried PCLOS has the best hardware detection by far. If you like, check out www.theloveoflinux.com -they have a pretty good, tested hardware database there that I would encourage you to use..especially after you have tried the distro on your box, so others can use your experience too. :)
Apt is a great package tool which is better than RPM. I believe Mandriva is an RPM based distro, whereas PCLOS uses apt. Synaptic, (apt frontend) is very easy to use (just point and click) and does all the work for you.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7

The Jmicron controller requires the 2.6.18 kernel or a patched kernel. Mandriva and Ubuntu/Kubuntu provide this. After searching the forums at PCLinuxOS it appears they do not have this kernel or a patched previous version.

Back