• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu? Or go with something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I'm going to be setting up a file/putty/vnc/apache server and I'll be using a flavor of Linux. I was just planning on using ubuntu again but I thought I should check and see if you guys had a better recommendation. What do you guys use for your file server boxes?

I obviously use Debian, being a Debian zealot. Ubuntu is a desktop distro, not a server (even if they pretend otherwise with a "server" version)

Misfit138 said:
Last I checked Debian was quite a big download. 2 dvds at 4.4 gigs apiece?

Just get the net install disc. It's about 100MB and has all the core components to get a bootable system. After that, just pull any additional packages you need over the internet. Depending on how much pain you want to endure, you can even get a Debian system running with just three floppy disks and an internet connection. (I had to do this on a system with a broken CD-ROM drive)

Misfit138 said:
Last I checked Debian was quite a big download. 2 dvds at 4.4 gigs apiece?

Hmm, alright, I'm trying to download it now via bittorrent but I'm getting an error message saying that I don't have enough disk space, but I've got 70 gigs free on the partition I'm downloading it to, and 6 gigs free on my C drive (I'm in windows).

edit:

I think I'll do what TimP has suggested, seems for reasonable.

TimP said:
Just get the net install disc. It's about 100MB and has all the core components to get a bootable system. After that, just pull any additional packages you need over the internet. Depending on how much pain you want to endure, you can even get a Debian system running with just three floppy disks and an internet connection. (I had to do this on a system with a broken CD-ROM drive)
:eek:

You are absolutely right. ......good to know.

Heres a link to it, in case anyone needs it. (Very good bandwidth btw)
http://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/debian-cd/3.1_r3/i386/iso-cd/debian-31r3-i386-netinst.iso

Gentoo and Slackware.

Gentoo if you want to really experiment and play with the system.
Slackware if you you want a no-muss install that just does what it's told.

Ubuntu/Debian will work equally well, just not my cup-o-tea

IMHO, Debian ~ Ubuntu.

I am going to try Sabayon this weekend, just as soon as I get time. (Sabayon is a Gentoo derivative, installable Live-DVD distribution with the desktop environment pre-compiled, so it should be good for people wanting to learn Gentoo but not wanting to wait for their desktop environment to compile.)

kaltag said:
Gentoo and Slackware.

Gentoo if you want to really experiment and play with the system.
Slackware if you you want a no-muss install that just does what it's told.

Ubuntu/Debian will work equally well, just not my cup-o-tea

I second Gentoo and I raise you a FreeBSD. I would not suggest any binary package based distro for a server simply because compiling software yourself will let you control exactly which features you enable. Slackware is also a good choice, but I'd still choose Gentoo before it just because of the package management.

BSD is awesome for servers. FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. They all share info with each other openly and are all just as current as any Linux distro. I got in to *nix by running a FreeBSD server in my dorm in college, and it was extremely solid. They all have linux emulation, so BSD's can run everything Linux can, even if there isn't a native port.

check BSD out, you won't regret it.
www.freebsd.org
www.netbsd.org
www.openbsd.org

Sabayon looks interesting but doesn't look like a "server" OS.

I'm still a noob with Linux, I mean I'm using ubuntu. I don't feel safe compiling my own software, and kernel, and desktop environment and all.

In windows when I have two NIC's I can simply bridge them and then if I hook a second computer up to mine I can have both access the web and all, how hard is it to "bridge" network connections under Linux? I'm going to end up putting this file server next to my desktop, and I only have one cat5e line coming to this room, so I'm going to need to bridge the network connection on my new fill server, I have plenty of NICs, but no switches...

Back