• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Post your Experiences with Gaming LCDs!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^ And I'll take it when you're done... :D

Viewsonic UltraBrite A90f+ 19" CRT.... "Your eyes will thank you, a lot more. But your arms will hate you." :D

i have the Samsung SyncMaster 17" TFT-LCD Flat-Panel Monitor in Black with:
600:1 contrast ratio
300 nits brightness
56-75Hz vertical frequency
30-81kHz horizontal frequency
12 ms typical response time
17" LCD screen (17" viewable)
1280 x 1024 maximum resolution
0.264mm dot pitch
and i am very happy with it, the games i have played on it(far cry, doom 3, nfsu2, etc.), i have noticed no ghosting.
i am running it from my 9550 through analoge (only hookup it gives you option for) but other than that, i have found it to be a great moniter
and coming with a 3 year full warenty, and only costing me $250 Canadian(thank you boxing week sales!) i am more than happy with it

samsung 710t $350 shipped (ncix special)
17" 12ms dvi
very good, but did notice some strange ghosting in cs:s with extremely fast movement

viewsonic vp171b-2 $360 shipped (newegg everyday)
17" 8ms dvi
extremely good! no ghosting at all. love it!

ah, hell :D

Gamecube 5" Monitor

.28 dot pitch ( i think, i can see words "clearly")

600x800 max resolution

5" Monitor, 5" viewable

15 ms response time

need i say more?

:attn: :attn: :p :burn:

Just got my Hyundai / ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD this morning. Here's the info:

Panel Type: A-Si TFT Active Matrix
Native Resolution: SXGA (1280 x 1024)
Pixel Pitch: 0.294 mm
Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 700:1
View Angle: 150° / 135° (Horizontal / Vertical)
Input Connectors: 15-pin D-sub, DVI-D, Audio in
Features: Built-in 2x 2w speakers & Headphone out; Adjustable Pivot & Tilt/Height Stand
Dimensions & Weight: 16.3" x 17.1 x 7.9" (WxHxD), 12.3 lbs

Busted out Unreal Tournament 2k4 on it and it was flawless! I also tested Need For Speed: Underground 2, and Doom3 on it and not a single hint of ghosting yet. That 8ms response time is friggin' sweet for gaming!

As far as in the desktop and normal apps, everything seems to be running smoothly. A few people on newegg.com said they've had some issues with the contrast, but I don't see anything. After replacing a 15" CRT this thing is HUUUUUGE!

I haven't tested out the speakers yet as I have a nice 5.1 system going, so I think they may stay virgin :D

Just got my Samsung SyncMaster 172x few weeks ago from newegg. ($450 after tax and shipping)

Very slik looking LCD, the design is extremely sexy.

Came with zero dead pixels :clap: :clap: :clap:

Running on 1280 by 1024 resolution on Radeon 9600pro (because anything else that isnt its native resolution looks kinda funky, not too bad though) At its native resollution the image is beautiful!

No ghosting in Unreal Tournament 2k4 at all no matter how hard i looked for it!

No ghosting in NFS Underground 2.

Very minimal ghosting in NHL2004. I dont notice it during gaming, only when i put my head 5inches away from LCD and look for ghosting on purpose. Only then its noticeable.

Its very bright, but easily adjustable to 4 lvls of brightnes. One touch bottom can go from Entertain mode (brightest) to Internet (medium) to Text (Darkest) and Custom, and i am running it through DVI

SO far im extremely happy with it. :cool:

PS make sure your video card can run games at 1280by1024 resolution because thats this LCDs native resolution. Anything other than that the image is a bit funky. But at native resolution games come alive!

Hope this helps

LG 19in LCD L1910s(k)
Response Time : 25 ms
Brightness : 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio : 400 : 1
Price $350

Nice for view webpages and videos from the destop. As for gaming a little ghost like. But I do have a 15in CRT for back up. And with 6800GT run dual monitors set one up for gaming other for normal stuff.

Last week I purchased a 19" Neovo F-419 LCD for $400 and it was worth every penny.

Size: 19"
Contrast Ratio: 700:1
Response Time (in ms): 25
Pixel Pitch (in mm): 0.294
Brightness (cd/m2): 300
Max. Resolution: SXGA 1280 x 1024
Analog Interface: Yes
DVI Interface: Yes
Features: 16.6" x 16.2" x 8.7"
Viewing Angle: L/R 170 degree, U/D 170 degree

I have never had a monitor with DVI input, and I can notice a huge difference in clarity between the standard vga and the dvi. The only complaint is that the base is a little flimsy, but I am planning on purchasing and LCD Monitor Arm soon.

Currently I am playing Far Cry (again), Halo, NFSU, and UT2004 and everything looks great, this is a great monitor with a great price.

Last edited:
Purchased a BenQ FP71G at Futureshop for $349cdn last night. This is my first dabble into LCD technology and I'm left completely disappointed. At the native resolution, it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, but I really should have done my research about other resolutions. Newer games are not going to run at 1280x1024 full speed, but really that's the only rez you can use without going nutts. Even with the 12ms response time, I still notice ghosting/smudging in games (tried BF1942/HL2/CS:S).. It was minimal at first and then I pretty well couldn't distinguish later. It had 2 lit pixels near the middle of the display.. one was an annoying red and the other brownish. If I really was playing every game in 1280x1024 and there were no other issues.. I would keep it.

Returning it today for a new 19" CRT beast. Boy was the LCD sexy though.. but ergonomics obviously are not everything for me.

BenQ FP71G 17" LCD
260cd/m2
500:1 Contrast
12ms
Analog input only

Dell 1905FP for sure. basically, a 19" version of the 2001fp that gets rave reviews. DVI. VGA, USB ports. etc.... I have the 2001fp and love it.

do know what the responce rate is on the dell? i want something i can play games on.

I have a 17" Samsung 712N and it is glorious:

600:1 contrast ratio
300 cd/m
.264mm dp
1280x1024
12ms response

I actually believe it to be better for gaming than my old 17" Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 that could do 1920x1440 (it was only 17") in both response and iq.

17" Sceptre X7G Komodo 2
450-1 contrast
16 ms response
300 cdm/m2 brightness

This is our first LCD monitor, And the wife and I like it very much. We actually just got a new computer also. Previously had a Pentium 3 and with the new computer and LCD monitor it's like coming out of the Dark ages!!! :cool:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-009-022&depa=0

$294.99

Specifications:
Panel Type: TFT Active Matrix LCD
Native Resolution: SXGA 1280 x 1024
Pixel Pitch: 0.294 mm
Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 500:1
Response Time: 16 ms
View Angle: 140 (Vertical)
Input Connectors: 15 pin D-SUB
Dimensions & Weight: 16.6" x 17.1" x 6.9" (W x H x D), 12.1 lbs
Manufacturer's Warranty: 3 years warranty

Works like a charm, picture quality is excellent.

Well it looks like the venerable Hyundai L90D+ that I have been reading so many good things about finally has some competition. I think Samsung was a little upset that Hyundai was stealing so many of their sales with this monitor. The L90D+ uses the same Samsung panel so there shouldn't be a huge difference in quality between the two. So why not buy the Samsung 915N instead? In my opinion, it was because the Hyundai offered analong AND digital connection, where the Samsung offered only analog.

I think Samsung was listening, because they just released this new 19":

http://www.samsung.com/nl/products/monitor/lcdmonitors/files/730b.pdf

Claiming 8ms rsponse time, has DVI inputs, 6 pre-programmed custom settings (text, internet, movie, sports, gaming, and custom); 600:1 contrast ratio; 160/160 viewing angle; 16.2 million colors, etc.

Oh and it's black. :) While I read many good reviews for the Hyundai L90D+ dammit all I just didn't like the color! Call me crazy but all my components are black and I didnt want a gray monitor frame. I also didn't really want/need the built in speakers on the Hyundai since I use either headphones when gaming, or my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1s for music and movies. I also heard lots of complaints about the Hyundai's awkwardly placed, cheap quality control buttons. I have not used this monitor, I am merely repeating what I have heard those who purchased it have said.

All of this, plus the fact that I could not acquire the Hyundai locally to try it out caused me to wait. Well, my wait was over as of last night. I just picked up the Samsung 930B at BestBuy. Got it for $469 - $90 mail in rebate = $379 final cost. So far I am quite impressed. Man is it fast. I like to play RTCW a LOT, also play Doom3 and Half-Life 2. Initial testing in all of these games reveals no ghosting, tearing, blurriness, etc. It seems every bit as fast as my trusty old CRT, but the colors will blow you away. Text also appears razor-sharp. I will post further details after a few more days testing if anyone is interested. Happy to answer any questions you might have as well.

Last edited:
bigspice said:
Dell 1905FP for sure. basically, a 19" version of the 2001fp that gets rave reviews. DVI. VGA, USB ports. etc.... I have the 2001fp and love it.

hit the nail right in the head.. Man, great post. I use that monitor and its UNREAL

Back