• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia & Windows Xp 60hz Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Ok I am a PC Tech and this is just still baffling to me, I run Windows XP Pro and have a nVidia GF FX 5950XT OC card with the newest WHQL Drivers 66.93 from the nvidia site.

The monitor I use is a '19' Viewsonic UltraBrite a90f+, with the correct drivers installed, supported res's are 800x600 @ 120hz / 1024x768 @ 100hz / 1280x1024 @ 75hz and 1600x1200 @ 60hz.

Now when I go into my nvidia driver settings, the box is checked saying "do not show modes this monitor will will not support" and it shows only 60, I have tried all the NVRefresh Rate fix tools I can find, have also gone into the registry and added new keys and binary values, adding the registry values did work and it DID allow me to have 99fps constant at 1024x768 res with v-sync on like I wanted, BUT it also disabled some of my resolutions, max res went from 1600x1200 to 1280x800.

I want run 1280x1024 on my desktop @ 75hz v-sync on, and ingame I run 1024x768 and want to have vsync on @ 100hz for 100fps.

I have since removed all the Nv Tools and deleted the reg keys and modes I made to raise the default winxp hz settings to 100, but now its still messed up and wont let me pick all my res. I can un/re install the nVidia drivers and fix that easy enough, but them im back to square 1 and still need to be able to actually use the monitors res's w vsync on.

(also) - some of the tools told me that any drivers after 45xx series have the hz override built in, and im able to find this and set it how I want it, but again those in-driver settings do not transfer over in game, this is for CS 1.6 mainly, and yes I have fps_max 100 so on and so forth.

Any Ideas, thx

Did you try unchecking the box "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" ? For some reason it thinks your monitor only supports 60hz. Not a big deal. Its probably due to either the video card drivers or monitor drivers being confused. Just override it. Go to Adapter/List All Modes (button). This will give you a list of every resolution and every refresh rate. Try them out.

If it fails, then it means your monitor isnt supporting it...

Also, for the 3d games, you have to use the nvidia control panel to adjust refresh rate

When it shows the monitor in the control panel, does it have your correct monitor identified? Or does it just say "default monitor" or something like that? Having the correct monitor driver should ensure it knows what refresh/resolution rates it will support.

refresh rate override doesn't work on some of the recent nV drivers, i always set my refresh in display-settings-advanced-adapter, have you tried uninstalling the monitor driver and reinstalling it?

bobmanfoo said:
refresh rate override doesn't work on some of the recent nV drivers, i always set my refresh in display-settings-advanced-adapter, have you tried uninstalling the monitor driver and reinstalling it?

You might have no choice for 3d games... They initialize the resolution and refresh rate separately (most notably if your desktop is not at the same resolution). Depending on the driver, it could default to the windows setting for refresh rate, but this is not always true.

oc jason said:
where is that located, in the drivers im sure but im at work and cant check

? where is what?

With the NV drivers, its where it has the OpenGL settings and such.

nicknomo said:
if your desktop is not at the same resolution)

i think that is my problem, my desktop is alwasy 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 but max i ever use ingame is 1024x768

ill fiddle and see thx again nos

As stated above, you need to make sure you install the software that came with your monitor, or download the latest software. All it does is add a registry entry so that your monitor is correctly identified. If not, windows will just load a default profile, which, well, sucks.

ya I though I had already installed the drivers for my monitor but I guess I had not, installed them from the site and it shows correctly now, im able to display the correct resolutions, thx for the jump start to the mind guys

Back