• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn between speakers.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
Upgrading my speakers for Christmas....but it's gonna be an early Christmas present to myself to compliment my new Audigy X Gamer card.

I had the LIVE card with the Cambridge FPS 2000 speakers, and was extremely satisfied.

Now I'm considering the Logitech Z 560 $180 here.

Or the Creative Inspire 5.1 system $100 here.

The Creative set is $100 cheaper, but is true 5.1 surround sound, where the Logitech is THX certified and 4.1 surround. I'll admit the Logitech blows the Creative set I have now away (they had a set on display) as far as loud, but I'm more in to quality (the Creative set wasn't on display) and have nothing to compare them to.

THX or 5.1? Appreciate any feedback.

And please, no one yell klipsch at me. I'm NOT paying 3-400 bucks for a set of speakers.

If you are not willing to go top shelf, you'll have to go to best buy and give them a listen for personal preference... If bass is important, you might want to get a set of labtec speakers (i have them and they rock!!).

I just upgraded to SB Audigy with the creative 5.1's and i am quite satisfied......they really sound great. But the choice is yours....keep in mind that creative is the manufacturer of both card and speakers, so i would have to say they are made to work with each other for maximum performance.

The "DAWG"

Shadow

I think Overclockers.com should give you a pay raise and then you Santa could buy you this:

promedia03.gif

Ok Skip told me that your not getting a raise this year or next, so you should just settle for these:

iconpromedia02.gif

:burn:

I got these and pretty happy with them, no scratch that comment, Im extremely happy with them. I got them on sale for under $150

productpageicon4.gif

:burn:http://www.klipsch.com/

Last edited:
I love my Yamaha system

I give a vote to Yamaha subwoofer and speaker system , gotta say I love mine

cisco kid:D

I believe that the creative set have Altec Lansings, which are some of the best speakers you can buy (next to Klipsch and Bose). I'd go for that one.

get the z560. You will not be sorry. i saw the review on TechTV. I just recently brough a speakers from bestbuy. I took it back and ordered the z560. Check out pricewatch. I got my for 150, including shipping. I love this thing. The sub sounds awesome. Very deep. 400 watts of power. don't even go for that 99 bucks Creative speakers. Z560 kicks the creative butt.

Klipsch all the way. I got my promedia 4.1's about 5 months ago and have not looked back. I want the 5.1's but dont see the need over the 4.1's. Klipsch's offer a certain quality and professionalism that no other computer speakers can offer.

Klipsch's offer a certain quality and professionalism that no other computer speakers can offer

having owned them i agree, they are of high quality construction, however, they are of low quality power handling. try putting more than 60w through them and see the distortion. I realize they are just computer speakers, but for the money they cost, they really should have better sound response and less distortion. the midilands i mentioned above are completely video shielded and handle 110w plus, i've put them to the test on my system, and they shine the whole time. couple them to a gametheater xp 6.1 and you have true Dolby D. if all you have is the audigy, well, you'll get 5.1 technically, but the center will still be a mixed L and R signal, works though.

Dang you sound very right about the klipsch's. I kept getting some distortion with them and couldn't figure it out. I moved the power to a different outlet and it went away. They are beast thus require extra pampering i guess. Why did you get rid of yours. I could never see myself leaving mine unless it was an upgrade to newer klipsch's.

i love my klipsch 4.1's but the videologic digitheatre dts system is next on my list ... can't beat those for dts home cinema on the pc.

Oh no, plastic boxes... Get Genelec's (if you can afford them, I can't) - there isn't many better choices. They are on the expensive side, being originally made as monitoring speakers...

The small plastic boxes those multimedia speakers are produce quite good quality sound nowadays compared to their actual manufacturing quality, it's a wonder, IMHO.

Pinky said:
If you are not willing to go top shelf, you'll have to go to best buy and give them a listen for personal preference... If bass is important, you might want to get a set of labtec speakers (i have them and they rock!!).
I agree, my labtec's blow away most of my friend's when they hear them. Really deep bass, but they do however lack a little in the super high end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, I got the 2 speakers with the sub, now they sell the 4 speakers and sub for the same price... :(
Oh well, them's the breaks I geuss.

The Klipsch Promedia's arent bad at all, but are priced a bit high for what you honestly get.

If you want to pay that kind of money for 5.1 speakers, or just palin ol' 2 way speakers, then look into the Cambridge Soundworks new 201D and 510D lineup. good satellites,great sub/cabinet, and good RMS power. They are bucks($300 and $450)but sound is excellent.

IMO there is no "great" pc speaker setup. When you own a pair of Revel Ultima's($15,000)and a pair of Dunlevy SCIVA's($8,000) along with a Wadia CD player,Transparent cabling, Aragon and Mark Levinson mono blockamplifiers etc like myself then you would understand my point! But I think the closest thing to PC speaker Nirvana is at Cambridge Soundworks outlets. ANd they have great speakers for all budgets too! Microworks($149,what I run currently),210D($299 the upgrade from the Microworks with 60 watts per channel and 150 watts to an 8" sub),and the 510D which is basically the 5.1 setup from the 210D.

Back