• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bloodyvs

Registered
i just recieved all the parts for my new comp, i got every thing in the retail box accept the HD taht was OEM....what is that? i didnt get any cables with it so im assuming i have to go get them...

original equipment manufacturer hm who did you buy it from and sata and ata cables are only $4-5

If you got a new mobo along with the rest of your stuff and it's retail it should have come with atleast one SATA cable. If not, they are really inexpensive.

Normally all the cables you would need to connect your oem harddrive should come with the motherboard.

Look inside the box that came with your motherboard - it should have a SATA or IDE cable(at least one of each)

your case should have the screws to mount it(my OEM drive came with the screws though, but no cables)

OEM - Original Equipment manufacturer

OEM parts are cheaper than retail parts, but are manily used to sell in bulk to retail stores (like a custom computer store that sells custom built systems)

they also do not come with cables or screws or drivers ect...

The reason most optical drives and HDD's come OEM is because you dont need drivers or cables(b.c a motherboard comes with them) and in most cases screws(the cases come with those)

i got a little worried about that my first build also(it was about 2 weeks ago) but you should be fine, have fun putting it together but READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY - since its your first time. Most stuff is self explanitory, but dont go guessing on how 2 put things in - i cut my finger that way.... lol

so be ready to read a little bit if your not sure

Back