• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy on Crack?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for us pros best buy seems like a rip off, money sucker etc etc with bad names. but they are not like newegg where they don't have to deal with customers. mostly everything with newegg is automated. but bestbuy has to deal with customers directly so that is 1000 times more employees to higher that means their net profit is less that is why they have to charge more. that is one example there are more... but i think you get the idea

I think the more plausible answer is that they do it because they can. Fry's also charges more than anyone else online but at least we're talking about being only 25% over newegg or simply not marking down old outdated products that have been hanging out on their shelves (you can't really complain about that). They're a steal compared to Worstbuy (I have my own issues with the big blue store). Bestbuy people go to Bestbuy first and foremost. They will pay more simply because they shop at Bestbuy, plain and simple.

I like using them when i have to rma a vid card, the 14 day return-rental policy is nice.

Best Buy doesn't make it's money on stuff like Video Cards - so they CAN do it. They make all their money in Geek Squad, TV's + cables, Cameras, and Laptops/Computers....everything else is just bonus.

My buddy who works at Best Buy gets cables at a fraction of what they charge i.e. a 40 dollar HDMI cable would be his for about a dollar fifty.

thats why we buy that sort of thing at frys, i got a 10ft HDMI for i think it was $4

Few days ago i was gonna get my g/f a 2gig stick of ram so she can have 2 gigs and the guy was like $72, I just laughed in his face then bought the same ram for less than 1/2 from newegg.

I also noticed a long time ago that Best Buy's normal prices are ripoffs.. especially the DDR2 memories...

Their "sale" prices are about equal to the normal prices on Newegg..

That depends on what sale item you're getting. I bought 6 7200.9 500GB drives on sale for $99.99 each, while they were still $120+ online. I recently bought a laptop on sale for $699.99, and comparable systems online are still $800+. I have one of the $80 RocketFish rebranded Lian-Li cases.

Few days ago i was gonna get my g/f a 2gig stick of ram so she can have 2 gigs and the guy was like $72, I just laughed in his face then bought the same ram for less than 1/2 from newegg.

Going to a B&M store for memory is never the best idea... B&M stores simply can't keep the quantity and variety a warehouse can. Memory is one of their big profit items. Many people come looking for it, and don't know how to shop online. Best Buy is a business; if there's a specific item they can make a large profit on, why shouldn't they? If you know better, than you can shop elsewhere.

Seriously best buy is not that bad. As an employee, I agree SOME of the prices are insane, like cables and some video cards. People who just shop online are just use to low price...like me... but as a local business in my town, they have the best prices.

I got struck by the unlucky bug and my new rig had bad memory, DDR2 800.

Best buy is right by my house so I occasionally stop in there to check it out and see what DVD's are on deal.

Well I really want the new rig running so instead of fighting DC traffic to get to Microcenter I stopped by best buy to see what they had.

4gb of PNY DDR2 800 (2x2gb)

I bought 4gb of Corsair DDR2 800 for 39.99 last week and 4gb of DDR2 1066 OCZ today for 39.99.

Best Buy prices arent that bad? Compared to what?

That depends on what sale item you're getting. I bought 6 7200.9 500GB drives on sale for $99.99 each, while they were still $120+ online. I recently bought a laptop on sale for $699.99, and comparable systems online are still $800+. I have one of the $80 RocketFish rebranded Lian-Li cases.

Why should i have to wait for a sale that may never come. I mean stuff is about $100 more than what it shouldbe giveing a good sale is the least the can do. I know newegg isent getting a $100 break on each item they sell yet best buy charges $100 more.

I got struck by the unlucky bug and my new rig had bad memory, DDR2 800.

Best buy is right by my house so I occasionally stop in there to check it out and see what DVD's are on deal.

Well I really want the new rig running so instead of fighting DC traffic to get to Microcenter I stopped by best buy to see what they had.

4gb of PNY DDR2 800 (2x2gb)

I bought 4gb of Corsair DDR2 800 for 39.99 last week and 4gb of DDR2 1066 OCZ today for 39.99.

Best Buy prices arent that bad? Compared to what?

Look at some of the other stuff they sell. Read my earlier post. Everyone seems to complain about Best Buy's memory prices, yet ignores every other item they stock.

Back