• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up partitions on Win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I'm in the process of setting up a new computer for my dad. What I would like to do is this. I want to split the 500g HD into two partitions with Win 7 on one partition and the rest of his programs/pictures and any other thing he installs to go on the other partition. What I want to know id how to set this up so it automatically does it on it's own. For example if the windows 7 install is on partition C and the 2nd partition is D how do I get any downloads, programs, and pictures he puts on the computer to automatically install in partition D?

Change the installation paths in the registry to the D: volume under the following key...

Code:
[B]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion[/B]

... string values changed from the default of ProgramFilesDir, ProgramFilesDir (x86), and ProgramFilesPath to their new corresponding locations.

in "current version" change anything with C: infront of it to D:?

No I haven't installed the OS yet so I'll have a read of that guide Thanks.

Ok so I tried Redduc900's method and now I'm having issues. I cannot install updates, I also cannot go back into Regedit. It says windows cannot find C:\Windows\regedit.exe

Try typing C:\Windows\System32\regedt32.exe in the Start search field, or accessing the registry from safe mode, then undo the changes you made. If you still can't access the registry, then I'll upload a registry edit which contains all the default string names and values for the CurrentVersion sub-key that you can merge.

Ok i'll try it tomorrow when I get a chance and report back.

Back