• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVDRW Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omega pwned

Registered
I have two IDE drives. One is a dvd-rom, the other is dvd-rw. the dvdrw is set to master and the dvd-rom is slave. the dvd rom works perfectly. the dvdrw however does not. the bios detects both drives as well as windows. on bootup, the dvdrw LED stays solid. when i put a disk in it blinks at me. it sounds like it is trying to spin but it doesent. any ideas anyone? the drive is a sony dw u14a. which apparently is an oem version of the DRU-510A

Do you have a bootable CD that you can test with? If you do, try to boot off of it.

What kind of IDE cable are you using? If you're using an ATA33 cable, try an ATA100 (80wire) cable instead.

Have you updated the firmware on the drive yet?

Yes, try another cable. Check that you have it properly jumpered as the master and before you reinstall the cable make sure you have no bent pins. Good luck with it.

did you try another disk?

or disconnect the dvd rom and just leave your dvdrw. start your pc, go into bios and check the drive settings under "standard cmos features" or something close to that. it should have an auto detect function. make sure it is recognized in here.

i had a cdrw drive with the same issue. i don't know why but when i did this, booted into windows, then restarted the pc, it worked.

the cdrw was the master and cdrom slave. if it still doesn't work, try installing this drive in another pc.

update when you get it working and what procedure you used to get it fixed.

My friend had this happen to him with the same set up. Also did it with his floppy drive. After weeks of trying stuff we determined his motherboard and videocard were crap and ordered new ones. Works like a charm now!

He did not do the best job installing his sytem and had a screw fall out and short his MB.

Back