• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For all you gamers out there...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpeeDj

Just found a site today that's called Transgaming, they make what they call WineX which is wine with some DirectX support mixed in. You should check it out and see what they have to offer. I haven't really delved in too much but there success with quite a few games gives me hope that all is not lost as of yet.

J

http://www.transgaming.com/ That is the site

Thanks! I have checked it out and will probably download it when I get SuSE 7.3

PAY!

But, this is for Linux, PAY?

Only the source is free. Hmmm, it like M$ backwards ;-)

They want you to pay because it is a company that is working on adding DirectX support to Wine. The employees have to eat somehow, you know.

I don't see what the big deal is for paying for stuff in Linux. As long as its something worthy, of course.

Thats why companies like Loki get screwed, because alot of people refuse to pay. Nevermind that if they go under, you will get alot less commercial games ported natively to Linux.

From what I understand, TransGaming has you pay for voting privileges. The more you pay, the more weight your vote has when you vote for which games you want them to make Wine compliant for next.

Personally, I'd much rather have native ports. Thats why I actually _buy_ games from Loki.

LOKI is one company I would love to support... unfortunately going through college (even a tech college) is hard on the wallet. When I get out and start making some money I will be glad to support them, and get a few good games as well :D

Its not so much I can't pay because I dont have the £££, but because I don't have the means. I am <18 yrs old = no credit card.

Yes, you can.

But, apparently, WineX is a bit more broken for somethings than normal Wine. They are supposed to merge them back together soon.

Normal Wine is good enough for me to play Half-wife: Counter****, so thats good enough for me.

Everyone I know who has tried it out says that it can't even run InstallShield, which practically every game uses.

I have a copy of it on my laptop, but I didn't try to install anything, just tried to play Serious Sam. It failed at that, just like the normal Wine tree.

When I went to Linuxworld in San Francisco this year, Transgaming had a system with 1 guy manning it in the corner of Mandrake's booth. They showed Diablo2 and American McGee's Alice running, using DirectX and all, without a hitch.

This was before the join announcement between them. Now that I look back on it, it makes sense for them to have been in the Mandrake booth.

well i was there too and i thought it was kewl but i'm kinda skeptical of the win emu krap,
i tried a few things in wine and it didnt work so....
btw: is that jims mom?

Depending on who you ask, its not really emulation. I don't think it is.

As long as its done right, it all works fine, even though a native port is still far more desirable.

I play Halflife without any trouble in Linux at 1024x768, and my fps is pretty much pegged at 70 most of the time. Using Wine.

I can't get wine to do anything. Mind u I aint trying hard.

Well, some people like to say "Wine is emulating the Win32 api". Others, like me, think that "Wine is implementing the Win32 api".

Thats not quite right... Wine would be emulating or implementing the Api, not the OS.

Back