• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game hosting with router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gimps

A friend and I were trying to play Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds today over Internet TCP/IP. I wanted to host because I am 3mb cable and he's 56gay. Well when he tried to connect using my IP it wouldn't bring up any game servers, even though I was hosting one. I went to my other computer and could connect through that IP. I'm not sure if it just let me connect because the two comps are hooked together via a router, or whether my friend was doing something wrong, or maybe my router is assigning my computer a different IP? Anyone know what I can do or if there is a way to test any of this?

It is time to get out the router manual. And find out what port the game server uses. Then just open up the port on the internal ip of the computer you are using as a server. good luck!!

what router are you using? typicaly you will have to setup your computer (server/host) in a dmz or open cirtain ports to it to allow for exposure through your firewall(if your router has one)

It's a LinkSys router, and the other computer I have connected to the router can join in to Internet TCP/IP games. It's just my friend who lives over the hill can't seem to get in. I'm wondering if maybe he's not doing something right, but I'll also check my manual and read up on it.

make sure you are giving your buddy your external IP address and not your internal IP address. Your Internal will be 192.168.1.XXX which wont help your friend. You also need to find out which port your game runs on and forward that port in the router. Here is my post for setting up a linky router for CounterStrike from a different forum. Probably the only difference is the port that has to be forwarded(step 5a) and maybe the protocol(step 5b). Any other question pls PM me.

here is what you have to do
1. go into your linksys config page (192.168.1.1 in your browser). Enter admin as you password
2. Click on the status tab. Look under WAN and write down what it says for IP address ( it will NOT BE 192.168.1.xxx that is the LAN IP).
3. click the advanced tab
4. click on filters and scroll down to 'Block WAN Request' and check 'DISABLE' and then APPLY
5. click on the forwarding tab.
a) under 'service port range' put in 27015~27015
b) under PROTOCOL select UDP
c) under IP address type in the LAN address of the server Click APPLY and CONTINUE.
6) Congratulations you have just configured your router.
7) take the WAN ip address I told you to write down and give it to your buddy so he can join your server and kick your butt.
8) when you join your own server always join via the 'Connect on LAN' option and NOT the 'Play Online' option.
this will save much bandwidth as not to lag others and keep you from getting kicked from your own server. If I join my CS server with the PLay ONLINE option I get kicked after a few minutes.

Do NOT set up DMZ hosting as it opens All your ports to the net and you lose your firewall. Disable it immediately or you run the risk of being compromised

Yes I do use the LAN option when connecting my other computer. I was just using that example above as a test to see if I had my settings correct. Now that I have the right IP:) I'll bet he'll be able to join no problems.
BTW my friend has never kicked my butt yet... I've beat him 11 times in a row in Galactic Battlegrounds, and we used to play Rogue Spear but since I've been in top ranked clans and he sucks I always win no contest. LOL, someday he'll win and I bet I hear about it for weeks!
Thanks!

Back