• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning a radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deltafan909

I've had this pc for about a year and 4 months now. My temps seem to be higher, so I think I am going to clean my radiator and dust off some other parts. What would be the best way for this? Compressed air can, vacuum?

I've had this pc for about a year and 4 months now. My temps seem to be higher, so I think I am going to clean my radiator and dust off some other parts. What would be the best way for this? Compressed air can, vacuum?

There is a sticky that talks about that.

There is a sticky that talks about that.
While this is true, it would be even more helpful to link him to it... :-/

Anyway, Compressed air or a vacuum cleaner (I like to use the brush attachment to get a bit inside the fins) works just fine on rads.

While this is true, it would be even more helpful to link him to it... :-/

Anyway, Compressed air or a vacuum cleaner (I like to use the brush attachment to get a bit inside the fins) works just fine on rads.

Sorry, I am on a phone. :/

I use my cordless inflator that I use for my air mattress and it works pretty good also. I probably wouldn't use an air compressor though unless the PSI was fairly low. One thing to remember when cleaning electronics with high speed air is always hold your fans inplace. A spinning fan motor generates electricity which will back feed into your other components.

Thanks EarthDog. Schulz, I'm on my phone too. My computer isn't hooked up at the moment.

Your phone inputs a signature... interesting. When I post from my phone I dont get a signature.

Your phone inputs a signature... interesting. When I post from my phone I dont get a signature.

I think the difference here is whether your using the mobile site or viewing the full site. I surf the forum on my android on the full site and it seems to behave exactly like it does on my PC.

I think the difference here is whether your using the mobile site or viewing the full site. I surf the forum on my android on the full site and it seems to behave exactly like it does on my PC.

I was on my Android device briefly while I was waiting for a call. I did not mean it as a smart ***. lol The thread has a lot of good info in it. ;) I am on a laptop now.

For the inside:
[url=http://www.overclockers.com/beginners-guide-water-cooling/#assembly]Assembly and Testing: Preparation[/url] said:
"Radiator preparation is one oft-missed item. Boil sink water and let it cool 5 min. Pour into the radiator, filling it up and let it sit 10 minutes. Drain half of the water or so and shake it till your arms hurt, shaking 3-4 minutes, like a crazy person. Drain into a clear container. Do the “radiator dance” again and again till the water coming out is clear and there is no gunk once the water settles. Then do it two more times. Finally, fill the rad with distilled (or deionized) water and do the rad dance one last time. NOW and only now is your radiator 90% clean. No worries, the last 10% will come out in the next year or two when you redo your loop for maintenance.

Inspect your parts. Open the pump and look for gunk / packing material. Run sink water through the blocks, pump and hose. It would probably be a good idea to run distilled/deionized through these as well. Drain as well as you can, but don’t go crazy on draining every last drop. Inspect bottom of block. Don’t forget to remove the plastic cover! Inspect screws and holes, checking to ensure they go together well first. DON’T put a screw through the radiator; I’ve seen this done more times than you’d think."

There is another one I saw somewhere. I will add it later since I was called to work. ;)

Last edited:
The dust bunnies? Air compressor, canned air, vaccum, even washing the rad under sink water with that spray attachment in the sink, putting it outside and drying in the sun for a day.

Mount to your race car and go 175 MPH?

Dunno, just a thought.

You got the inside rad cleaning figured out.

You could always re flush the system with slightly cooled previous boiling water. For the outside, you could use a simple compressed air can to blow the dust through :)

I find the canned air is good for a weekly quick dust off, but it series lacks when trying to get more thourough. I like my wifes rainbow set to blow it works great when she don't know.

I'm using a closed loop, so I can't flush it with anything. Though, I did just clean the rad with a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment. 5C lower idle temps... not bad. Let's see how load goes.

Protip: If you can get it there, running water in the sink (or from a hose) is far and away the most thorough and quickest way to get a rad clean.

I do the same. I have a 5/8" ID (fits 5/8" OD tube) dishwasher fitting that I put on my sink tap, and it holds a hose just perfect for flushing it out with hot water.
It's not perfect, if you block the out port on the rad, the tubing will blow loose from the faucet, but that prevents over pressurizing the radiator...You DO NOT wanna do that. Some city water systems can reach over 70 PSI water pressure, and that will distend your radiator, if not cause a permanent leak/split.

Back