• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X 1200/1500 a Sucess

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

Been running R9 290X on air for a while now and finally, I tear it a part for EK Full cover water block. I am able to overclocked Core speed 1200Mhz/1500 Memory. I ran Heaven with no issues. I think I can push it a little more but I am happy with 1200/1500 and I did not attempt to go any higher. In AfterBurner, Core Voltage mV+ 100, Power Limit + 50

Any one here can tell me how to get GPU-Z to show VRM1 & VRM2 Temp? Oh yeah, I should add, 290X crossfire added into the loop and I see no temp changes. I guess because the massive amount of Black Ice GTX radiators and Delta fans over comes all the increased tempt :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_5.jpg

IMG_3.jpg

IMG_2.jpg

Last edited:
WoW, Nice looking blocks :clap: :clap: :clap: Congrads!

On GPU-Z, scroll down :facepalm:

:cool: lol

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,250
Techjesse, Thank you :thup:

Benchmark Heaven/3DMark
GPU temp 45c
VRM1 37c
VRM2 33c I should note, I am using the optional high performance Fujipoly Ultra Extreme thermal pad.

7.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet sweet clocker.
What did you get prior to the block speed wise?

Sweet sweet clocker.
What did you get prior to the block speed wise?

When it was on air, I was able to get 1100/1300 but temp get very hot. Gaming (Need for Speed hot persuit) within a few minutes temp shoot up in the 93+. Now it stay in 45-47c Max in Heaven/3Dmark and vrm 2 stay at 33c-38 all times.

Last edited:
When it was on air, I was able to get 1100/1300 but temp get very hot. Gaming (Need for Speed hot persuit) within a few minutes temp shoot up in the 93+. Now it stay in 45-47c Max in Heaven/3Dmark and vrm 2 stay at 33c-38 all times.

Great temps you got there and I am sure its heavenly silent as well at full load. I totally appreciate that. I don't know what a noisy PC means anymore. :D

It's throttling in your gpus screenshot boss... At least it looks like it in the second one.

Also to get fill load temps in a water loop, you need to run things for at least 30 mins so the water temp hots it's peak in your loop. Gems going up 3c sounds impossible.

Last edited:
It's throttling in your gpus screenshot boss... At least it looks like it in the second one.

Also to get fill load temps in a water loop, you need to run things for at least 30 mins so the water temp hots it's peak in your loop. Gems going up 3c sounds impossible.

Earthdog.. Nice catch :) I noticed it to but I initial thought was a GPU-Z bug and it is not. It is not throttling at all. After reading your post. I decide to load the GPU for 40 minutes and and graph shown the same thing> then I realized that because I have the GPU_Z sensor refresh rate of .1 therefore it is impossible to see the actual clocks. When I change the sensor refresh rate to 10.0 and re run 1 test and I was able to see 1200/1500 right after the benching stop. My delta fan speed is whipping a hair under 3k and disregard all other fan rpm.

Here is to the 40 minutes run.

10.jpg

Last edited:
Changing the logging time to 10s may not catch it throttling...

Use MSI AB and actually show the core speed on a graph. ;)

Changing the logging time to 10s may not catch it throttling...

Use MSI AB and actually show the core speed on a graph. ;)

How is the graph look to you? because I am not understand the graph well. Ah. Got dummy me.. I need to scroll down to all the information. I will re bench later. I am a way from the PC now.

The GPUz graph, since you changed the refresh to 10s, looks fine. However it looks fine because you took the granularity out of it and lowered the refresh rate.

MSI AB doesn't show the clockspeeds in the first place.. just temps (we need clockspeeds). ;)

The GPUz graph, since you changed the refresh to 10s, looks fine. However it looks fine because you took the granularity out of it and lowered the refresh rate.

MSI AB doesn't show the clockspeeds in the first place.. just temps (we need clockspeeds). ;)

MSI AB does show clock speeds.

Shows Memory/GPU clock speeds and voltages along with VRM temps, Ram allocation and Tach. As well as CPU Temp/Speeds etc.
I know its running on my PC right now with my G510 Logitech Keyboard showing the information. Useful in games/test to make sure its sticking to the proper speed.

Edit: NM being a knuckle head, miss read sorry EarthDog

I was a bit vague.. the screen he showed on MSI AB does not have the clockspeeds on it to look at it. So when he posts that SS of MSI AB again, I want to see the clockspeed from its graph too.

I was a bit vague.. the screen he showed on MSI AB does not have the clockspeeds on it to look at it. So when he posts that SS of MSI AB again, I want to see the clockspeed from its graph too.

I just ran another test. AB indeed show full speed 1200/1500. I will post more pic later. I have to run errands now. Earlier, I did not realized I have to scroll down to see all the temp/clocks information in AB. I can you tell you this. The cars is not throttling. Can't be throttling with a massive amount of radiators for cooling here. :)

Yeah, that scrolling thing seems to have bitten you twice in this thread! :p

Cooling isn't the only variable for throttling. It could also be hitting a power limit. ;)

... regardless, glad to hear it is not! Nice clocks!

Double click the graph. Should get it to open up so you'll be able to see the speeds, etc.

Did you say just under 3k RPM? Nvm about being quiet. lol

Back