• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600GT + 120MM fan, good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slaya

Hey, the loudest fan in my computer the fan of my MSI 6600GT, when I hold that fan down with my finger I hear nothing but silence (even with the side panel open)

I don't exactly want to spend $35 on a cooler for it so i'm wondering if I can change the fan?

I was thinking to take off metal cover, pull out the fan (or maybe leave it) and add a 80MM fan up there?

Would this work? I don't want to kill my card, and I don't OC it.

http://www.gamers-depot.com/hardware/video_cards/msi/6600gt/shot1.htm

It should work better than the stock configuration providing you use the right fan.

Ok actually, would it work if I left the current fan on and used a 32CFM fan such as thishttp://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-964&depa=0

If I aligned it so the center of the 80MM fan was directly ontop of the center of the current gpu fan would that allow me to NOT have to take off the current gpu fan (sounds retarded huh??)

If your current card is PCI-E, you could try finding Silencer for good price.
I wouldn't remove the fan completely, perhaps undervolt it. Adding aditional fan might help. I'm not sure if 120mm one will be the bestm perhaps something smaller would work better. I'd suggest some getto duct for you - it will damp stock fan noise + you can use some 80+mm fan with it.
So if you can't get Silencer cheap, maybe make some kind of box on your graphics card and move some air across it with additional fan, possibly with direct intake or exhaust.

You can eventually adapt AMD / P4 cooler, but it's not very easy. Depending on cooler, I'd describe it as pretty easy to pretty hard, of course when you have tools. Without good tools, it's very hard to impossible.

This is exactly what I did before getting my Zalman 700CU. I left the stock fan on there, and removed the cover plate.

videocardcoolling.jpg

Hey, could you give me any details please?

Like...
what size/speed fan you used?
how you mounted the fan?
how did the temperatures with this "mod" compare to stock?
got any more pics?

edit: also, my card is one of the few that doesnt come with a temp probe :( is there a way to make the computer shut off if the card gets too hot or something, will it lock up or anything? i want to be SURE on this because I dont want to kill a 200$ card.. basicly anything to protect it from overheating itself.

Thats what i did with my 9800 *still do with my 9800 since i busted the mounting pins of my silencer <_<.... what a peice... erm* any 80,92, 120 mm panaflo will do the job admirably. it doesnt have to blow at it directly either, just blow in its direction. I use a zalman fan bracket to acheive that

ev0one2.jpg

in this pic its used to cool my cpu, but moving it down to the bottom pci slots works for cooling the gpu, or just use the side mount slot on it. $5 bucks.

you could of course just twist tie two ends of the fan to your pci slot protectors and hang it blowing over your gpu.
itmight not perform that much better than stock, but its air flowing over the fins, and its a lot more air than the stock fan.

your best bet WOULD be to get a silencer... but after using one for a while now, i cant recommend them unless you like to take it appart every so often and oil it. the fan on mine has already started to go after only 4 months.

The fan was a 120mm LED CRE AIR 4.8 watt .4 amps. It runs 2400 RPM and is 70CFM. I had it on a fan bus. I simply zip tied it to a PCI bracket for easy installation/removal. I thought about using it to cool my new Zalman, but was happy enough with the stock Zalman results. Sorry I don't have any more pics, but I may take some when my Wootilage HP X735XI camera comes in this week (although the pics would be of my new Zalman, not my old 120mm fan/stock GPU heatsink setup).

You can see my results in this thread

You'll probably get better results because the MSI heat sink is a full copper heat sink. Unfortunately, there's no way to have your PC or graphics card shut down by thermal monitoring of your GPU without an extremely expensive fanbus with thermal monitoring. Ohy yeah, the Arctic Cooling silencers will not fit a 6600GT.

They actually fit PCI-E version of 6600GT.

Sooo... If you have PCI-E, look for cheap Silencer, if not - Zalman (which is expensive), or some duct & fan combo / modded CPU cooler.

From the results that I have had with my MSI 6600 GT and some of the reviews that I have read online, the stock heatsink/fan on this card with one of the best/quietest cominations available.

bluediamond said:
From the results that I have had with my MSI 6600 GT and some of the reviews that I have read online, the stock heatsink/fan on this card with one of the best/quietest cominations available.

So i've heard, but when I hold down the fan my computer is dead silent (as it should be considering the rest of the fans on there own are dead silent)

The GPU fan is not high pitched, it sounds like what a high speed 80MM fan would be, but none the less loud..

Back