• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Printer modding! Pics!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Veland

So, had some parts around with no apparent use.. Like a 30cm blue(ish) CC..

So, let's give it a house! In my printer!

Opened up my Canon i560 and looked around, only one possible location due to size. And I had to use the CC without the protective tube around it. So I added clear heatshrink tubing to keep the tiny wires around the CC tube in place. Some hotmelt glue and it's all in place:
shell.jpg

Next, power to the people! (or to the inverter at least...) Checked around with my multimeter and found a +12V point! Good, done!
So I prepared the cables and got ready to solder. But I had forgotten which wire was the +12V one.. Ok, let's fire it up and test again: What!?! I only found +24V!?!

Hmm.. In my confusion I also shorted a point on the board, making the printer turn off. After a couple of minutes it started back up, guess it's got some sort of reseting fuse. Good..

Anyway, it turns out the the PSU delivers +12V when the printer is in standby mode, and goes up to 24 volts when it's doing something.. Not good news for my inverter..

Took a rummage in my parts box and found a LM317 regulator. Some soldering later I had a voltage regulator giving me about 11.5V when it's fed 24V and about 10V @ 12V. Sorted!

Here is where I found the power in MY printer:
power.jpg

So, then it's the money shots. First with the lid closed and then with an open lid. Printer still works fine, prints fine, voltage regulator cool to the touch, inverter cool as well and everything allright.

The point of the mod? Ehh... I can change the ink tanks without turning on the light! Or something like that.. Or just that it's a challenge to do and worked out fine!
closed.jpg

open.jpg

Thanks all!

And really quick to make as well, took me something like 4 hours total time, with most of the time spent trying different positions for the light and inverter. Once that was in place, the actuall cutting, gluing and soldering took less then an hour..

As for the regulator, it's a standard LM317 circuit, based on this calculator

With 270 and 2200 in resistance, it gives me 11,44V as long as the input is 1,5V higher then that. At lower voltages I get the input minus 1,5V

It's always a good idea to have some basic components around, like 317's and some resistors..

Oh, and I built the regulator without any caps. Don't need the smoothing or filtering very much in this case..

i wonder how the heat from that light might affect the ink cartridges ? drying up or something?

it is a cool mood, make me wonder if anyone else has tried any printer mods :D i got an epson c82 not doing much :D

Back