• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

has anyone had this promblem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Resqme

hey all

Well recently was switched over to comcast network, I have 3 computers on a network , I just put together a better computer to replace the slower third one and put a new nic card in to. Come to find out it will not go on the internet, take the nic card out of the old and put it in, and no promblem works fine. So what is up with that? I can even take the nic card out of my main computer and set it up in the new and it works . Does anyone have any idea what you have to do if you have to replace your nick card?

Thanks

i dont understand: does this new nic work at all in any of your computers? have you installed drivers for the card, is it IDed properly in your device manager? did you just "put together"new stuff and keep the HD and OS unchanged excepting the PNP\auto detect changes on 1st boot?

yes everything is new in the computer, even the nick card, it did see and set up properly in the device manager and also reads the other computers on the network fine, it just wont acsess the internet. So i put the nick card from the old computer in the new
and set it up and it will acsess the internet. So i did a test i took out the nick card out of the outher 2 computers and set it up in the new one and they to will acsess the internet. Some how Comcast internet is identifing the three original nick cards, but wont identify anything in lines of a new nick card..Hope that better explaines it

Thanks

thats weird,
only thing i could guess would be the default settings for the card itself during driver load and i would check and see what the configure options for the card is under connection\connect with \configure part or some such stuff, look at compare the defaults and protocols

I would say for the new computer change the IP address and that should make everything work fine...to change it....

1.click start>run>type in "winipcfg" (no quotes)
2.then select the nic card that you installed from the drop down menu
3. click release all and then renew all and then everything should be fine...

Hope that helps

Spec

yeah tried that already, what happens is i click release all and it does nothing, i go ahead and click renew all and it just locks up
not sure what else to do but to call comcast and listen to people that dont seem to know anything more than i do.

Thanks for the help anyways

make sure that your protocols are configured correctly, i'm not surewhat OS your running, but i snapped a pic of the network properties for TCP/IP, under "Wins Configuration" make that "use DHCP for Wins resolution" is NOT checked, this will keep you from obtaining an ip, but will allow you to still see your internal network.......after making sure it's disabled, run "winipcfg" again and release..then renew, should work.

i made sure that it was all set right, and still nothing.
and comcast just wants to send somebody out and charge for it
i said no ill just stick with the old nick card . If any one of my nick cards go bad in any 3 of my computers i guess i will have no choice in having them come out. I think it is just a way for them to make more money

Thanks for the help

How are these machines set up? All three behind a router? Or one gateway with 2 behind a hub? Or something else? Using ICS?

Did I understand in one of the previous posts that the new NIC will work in the two older machines, but not in the new machine?

How are these machines set up? All three behind a router? Or one gateway with 2 behind a hub? Or something else? Using ICS?
Did I understand in one of the previous posts that the new NIC will work in the two older machines, but not in the new machine?

All 3 machines are hooked up to a hub. Cable modem is hooked into the uplink port and the other computers hooked into three other ports. And not using ICS, I pay extra to have 2 extra computers hooked to the network. No the new nick card will not work in any of the computers as far as going online, it works fine reading back and forth through each computers,no matter what computer i put it in, It does sound werid buit i can not figure it out, it seemes as though comcast is some how seeing what nick cards can go online , since comcast has put us over to there new network you no longer need to have any idenification set in as computer name or even in your workgroup it does not matter what you put in it will go online.

Hope this better explaines things

Thanks

Did you get the NICs from Comcast? If so you need to call them and ask them to change the Mac ID of the old one to the new one, in their system. That should fix it. They are probably doing what the company I work for does, they identify you by MAC ID.

Gresyth said:
Did you get the NICs from Comcast? If so you need to call them and ask them to change the Mac ID of the old one to the new one, in their system. That should fix it. They are probably doing what the company I work for does, they identify you by MAC ID.

That's a good point. But I though MAC addresses were hard-coded (or whatever the term may be) and unchangeable.

Gresyth
The nick card is mine, but i see nothing on it about the mac id
if it is hard coded like Godfodda says how do they change it or what do i tell them? Belive me when you talk the people at comcast i sometimes think i know more then them

Thanks

Resqme said:
Belive me when you talk the people at comcast i sometimes think i know more then them

I use SBC for my DSL and their tech support are equally (if not more) stupid. At least we get to learn from their mistakes, right? :rolleyes:

I use SBC for my DSL and their tech support are equally (if not more) stupid. At least we get to learn from their mistakes, right?

LOL Godfodda, With all the hassels i have gone through
1st when Comcast took over are area from ATT i ended up with 2 accounts i sent payments to comcast. ATT would shut me of for non payment i would call comcast they say your on and everything is fine id tell them no Att says they shut me off they would say no we own your area now they caint shut you off
What a nightmear that was
2nd Excite going under a whole nother story, The only good thing that came out of it was i did learn how they did things. And so many times i was telling them what they needed to do to get me back online Now the new promblem with the mac id on the nick card (Will it ever end)

Resqme said:
Gresyth
The nick card is mine, but i see nothing on it about the mac id
if it is hard coded like Godfodda says how do they change it or what do i tell them? Belive me when you talk the people at comcast i sometimes think i know more then them

Thanks

Some cable providers use the mac id of your modem or nic to identify you to their servers. If they have mac id 'abcd' in their computers as being your nic/modem and then you change the nic/modem you won't get online until the isp has the mac id of the new device.

example:
The isps servers are looking for 'abcd' and you are actually using 'hjkl', it aint gonna work until the servers know to look for 'hjkl'.

Get it?

Gresyth, Thanks i see what your saying now, Ill try calling them back and tell them that and see if they can get it, I for sure dont see how sending someone out is going to do anything

Thanks again

Back