• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which LCD for $500-$700: Dell 2407 or ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randyman...

Hello,

I have been doing some research for a new LCD Widescreen for PC#1 in my Sig. I see the Dell 2407WFP is back on sale for $700 odd bucks, but still has all of the people complainig about the "Banding". Is the banding that big of a deal? Will Rev A-03 fix that?

What would you guys recommend in the $500-$700 range? I'm looking to buy next week. I'm not a big gamer - but I would like descent Video quality for watching the occasional DVD on my PC. I mainly do Audio Production - so a Widescreen is desired for maximum desktop real-estate. I want something that will stick with me for a few years - or more. HDCP would be nice - but not a deal breaker.

I was debating buying something larger + more expensive like a Westinghouse 37" W3 1080P display for combination PC + HD-TV use - but I think I will stick with a dedicated LCD for the PC, and go Plasma for HD-TV viewing (better colors for video)...

BTW - I'm giving my old 17" LCD to my Parents as an early X-Mas present :) My parents rock!!!

Thanks for any input...

:cool:

How bad is the banding on the 2407? Does it make the LCD a flop - or is it still worth $700? I am looking to buy Today if possible!!!

Thanks for any input. Believe me I have been doing my research - but this is an ever-changing market segment...

Ask Dell to make sure its revision A02(or later ) The banding problems have reportedly been fixed.

Read thru this, its a possible solution and reason behind the banding.http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=481694

Now as most of the readers will know the 2407FPW has been plagued by banding in its Rev A00 and in some A01's, but i'm proud to say that Dell have hit the nail on the head in the case of this fine specimen of an A02 - as long as you keep it in 'Desktop' colour management mode. You see, they've implemented some new fandangled colour/image trickery which resulted in some rather abhorrent banding.
Anyway, here's the photo you all wanted to see:

Last edited:
Thanks! I inquired about the Revision, but the Rep could not find any info (asked if A03 was shipping). I made sure that I could return it if it has noticable Banding.

I couldn't wait, so I pulled the trigger on the 2407WFP. Free shipping, but Tax was a killer :( . $778 shipped...

We shall see if it is a big let down or not. I think it will be just fine for "My PC and Me"...

Thanks for the input, dfonda

Ok you guys all convinced me to order one of those bad boys. My friend has one and let me tell you its one hell of a monitor. I used to be in love with my 1760NX but now im spoiled. And another great thing about that 2407 is the fact that I could play my Xbox360 on it with no lag. I used the vga cable as hookup.
This monitor would be great for me as I am majoring in Computer Science, and when I am programming its great to have all of that room to have a few windows open. Ill be doing some dual monitor action of course, but man am I excited about this monitor. :D

If you haven't ordered already, get a 20% off coupon on ebay for a couple bucks. Mine came out to be 660 shipped w/ tax...

EclipseJP said:
I saw some of those coupons on Ebay. How exactly does it work. Does he send you the code? Cause its says they expire on the 13th.

what is typically done is you use the buy it now option and then pay instantly with paypal and then they e-mail you or message you the coupon code right away. The person I did business with had the coupon in my e-bay message folder before I even knew what happened (best 2.50 I've spent in a while).

Oh well - I didn't get a 20% Copupon; :cry:

But I DID get a nice & shiny 2407WFP on Monday! $778 shipped (ordered Friday at 6PM, got it Monday at 2:45PM). :attn:

Man - this thing is lovely. I had a Dell 2000FP before, and loved it (a bit "dim" comparitavely) - but this 2407 kicks it up a few notches (size, contrast, & color). No dead pixels that I can see, and no appreciable bleeding.

Banding? I can't see it if there is any.

It doesn't look so hot with a DVD player via Component connections (my Wega 27" Tube smokes it hands down), but that is not what I bought it for :). Even this forum is more of a joy to browse now with the uber-clean text. My Audio Applications are easier to use with more desktop space (my main yearn for a Widescreen)

Completely satisfied. The Card Reader + USB Ports on the side are a nice touch - but I probably could have done with $50 more bucks in my pocket instead :p

Rock and roll

P.S. - How can you tell which revision 2407 you have?

There is a sticker on the back telling you what revision you have.:)

HHH said:
There is a sticker on the back telling you what revision you have.:)

:beer:
I was too excited to look for a sticker. Out of the box, onto my desk, and "on" she went :) . I'll peek on the back when I get home.

Thanks

Been playing with my 2407 for a couple days now and it is sweet. I really enjoy the extra space when running pro-e... BF2 also looks great at 1920x1200.

For firmware, here is some info from tft central

How to Find the Firmware and Panel

As a reminder, Dell screens allow you to access the hidden ‘factory’ OSD menu to find out some additional information about your screen. Here is how to do it, it will become important later on…
1- Turn off your screen
2- Press simultaneously the 'Menu' and '+' button of the screen.
3- While holding the 2 buttons, press now the 'Power' button.
4- Once the screen in ON, unpress the 3 buttons.
5- Just press '-' button.

Firmware and Panel Evolution
This is the history of the 2407WFP evolution:
A00 - V1B11, LTM240M2
A00+ Interim update - V1B15, LTM240LM2
A01 - V1B15, LTM240L2
A02 - V1B15, LTM240L2
A03 - V1B20, HN208

Interesting Link! I had no idea that there were De-Interlacing issues and 1080P issues with this monitor.

I am curious how someone could say this monitor does not support 1080P when our PC Desktops are indeed feeding a 1920x1200 Progressive image to it - mapped at 1:1 :confused: ? Seems like it would have to support 1080P, or 1920x1200 Desktop Resolution not work either. What am I missing here?

I'm not worried about that stuff (Desktop PC use is my only application for this monitor) - but does anyone have the "Real" scoop on what formats the 2407 supports?

Back