• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scary stuff with my radeon 9700 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Disabled
i was trying the xbitlabs version of the voltage mod for my card with my new 15W-30w interchangable soldering iron i got for christmas :D I replaced the old thick wires i had with some thiner ones and made a more solid connection with the voltag regulator chips and soldered some new resistors on. But the one thing i forgot to doubble cheak was the new resistor value for the voltage regulator under the hot plate on the back. SO i had 2.7Kohm resistors all around! I boot up my comp and i'm greeted with nice prety rainbow lines running down my screen :eek: I quickly hit the power switch and snip all the resistors and boot back up........ no more lines (*sigh*). so i re-read the xbitlabs site and come across this! Use 10Kohm resistor for voltage regulator under the hot plate :eek: Since i used a 2.7Kohm resistor there I wouldn't want to see how high my mem volts were. So i'll take this as a good lesson learned. ALWAYS DOUBBLE CHEAK THE INSTRUCTIONS!! :eek: scary things happen when you don't. I was lucky and my card survived, but next time i may not be so lucky if i forget my lesson.

Nice story, hehe. Glad everything turned out good...ive seemed to notice that ATi cards are pretty damn durrable hardware wise.

yeah they have lasted much longer than any other card i've had. I'm guna revamp(re-condition) my watercooling system and retry all of this.

wildbilly2k said:
wow my heart would have certanly been racing

I actualy couldn't care less, I would have just used my good old trusty cirus logic 2d card untill r350 came out :D Ati's product cycle is so fast now that i don't relly have to worry about wasting money on the same card twice. Hey just think! if this card survives till r350 it will be my new backup card :D :D nothing to loss!

Back