• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much impact does the size of a case have on cooling, if any?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
True but you got to admit that say a smaller case with say a 120mm intake and exhaust versus a case with like 5+ 120mm/140mm fans is most likely going to cool better. It's both combined that really make the difference.
Material? Nope.

You really need to work on your reading skills. You claimed in post #14 that:

"I think everyone is missing a key point with larger cases. More than likely they have more fans."

In post #11, I had already said, "...larger cases are easier to design for better airflow because there is more room for air to flow around components in a straighter path and there is more room for more and bigger fans..."

Get the point now?

Its funny how people keep posting hypothetical scenarios to imply that there's a direct correlation between case size and cooling. The bottom line is airflow.

Amen to bigger case fans 140mm or it sounds like you're on a bomb run in a B52 :rofl:

I can get a 40-120mm fan that you can barely hear, I can also get a 40-120mm fan that will make you deaf. I can put a 120x38 fan in front of you that is not overly loud and I can also put a 120x38mm fan that you can't yell over. I can hear my gable fan running through 2 doors and from about 30' away, and it is a 24" fan IIRC.

Blade angle, fan size and thickness, number of blades, manufacturer and quality of the fan all help to determine the end result.

Its funny how people keep posting hypothetical scenarios to imply that there's a direct correlation between case size and cooling. The bottom line is airflow.

This is the real answer. It doesnt matter how large or small the case is if the airflow is blocked or impeded by obstacles.

Last edited:

Absolutely, the bottom line is airflow but it is one heck of a lot easier to get better airflow from a larger case than from a crowded, smaller case. The majority of the time, a larger case is going to have better airflow.

I can get a 40-120mm fan that you can barely hear, I can also get a 40-120mm fan that will make you deaf. I can put a 120x38 fan in front of you that is not overly loud and I can also put a 120x38mm fan that you can't yell over. I can hear my gable fan running through 2 doors and from about 30' away, and it is a 24" fan IIRC.

Blade angle, fan size and thickness, number of blades, manufacturer and quality of the fan all help to determine the end result.

You forgot speed. No matter what the other parameters are, the same fan fan is going to sound louder at a higher rpm than a lower rpm. All other parameters being equal, at the same speed, a larger fan is going to move more air than a smaller one. Again, as all other parameters being equal and both sizes are moving the same CFM of air, the larger fan will spin slower thus, will be quieter.

Your 24" gable fan analogy is comparing apples and kumquats and doesn't hold water (how is that for mixed metaphors?). The gable fan is probably spinning faster and is designed to move a whole heck of a lot more air than any computer fan. The sound of the air movement alone will account for the increased sound levels. If that gable fan was running slowly enough to be moving the same amount of air as, say, a good 200mm computer fan, it would be whisper quiet (other than possible motor hum).

Well this thread is getting reduntant,

Skip the details and throw a turbo charger on it ....... :rofl:

Attachments

• Turbo.jpg
    Turbo.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 53
You forgot speed. No matter what the other parameters are, the same fan fan is going to sound louder at a higher rpm than a lower rpm. All other parameters being equal, at the same speed, a larger fan is going to move more air than a smaller one. Again, as all other parameters being equal and both sizes are moving the same CFM of air, the larger fan will spin slower thus, will be quieter.

Your 24" gable fan analogy is comparing apples and kumquats and doesn't hold water (how is that for mixed metaphors?). The gable fan is probably spinning faster and is designed to move a whole heck of a lot more air than any computer fan. The sound of the air movement alone will account for the increased sound levels. If that gable fan was running slowly enough to be moving the same amount of air as, say, a good 200mm computer fan, it would be whisper quiet (other than possible motor hum).

The gable fan part applied to the larger fan statement that I quoted but otherwise, I agree.

Back