• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sim Racing Game Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have a Fanatec CSR wheel, Austin located replacement springs. When I got the wheel, pressing at the bottom of the shifter didn't always actuate the switch. About a month or two ago, I was in a race, it stopped functioning entirely, and rarely worked. I contacted Fanatec support and they sent me a new PCB for the wheel fairly quick.

I installed the PCB after receiving it and the new board didn't fix the issue. After looking the paddle shifter mechanism over a bit, I noticed that the spring wasn't long enough because it was bent. I sent this information back to Fanatec and it took them a very long time to respond. They told me to send the wheel back in to get it repaired.

The problem was, I didn't want to send it back in because I located the issue and Grid Autosport was likely going to be released before I got it back. Discussing this with Austin, he suggested the following spring:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1986k71/=sd2212
Type 302 stainless steel
0.500" length
0.250" OD
0.026" wire diameter

Pictures of the original here: http://thideras.com/images/random/fanatec_springs/

This spring fits perfectly in the wheel and it actually feels better than the stock one by being stiffer. So if you want to upgrade the feel of the paddle shifter, that spring is great.

TL;DR: Mechanical engineers win every time and I fixed Corey's wheel
:rofl:

Updated the thread summary with games, links, and a slight redesign.

Hey guys

Awesome to see a dedicated simracing subforum..

My new PC is on the way and I'll finally have 5760x1080!!

I've been drooling over the $800 simpedals (hydraulic brake omg!!) for a while... The G27 brake is killing me. Has anyone talked to someone who has tried them?

Don't know whether to save up or grab the fanatec v2 load cell style..

Last edited:
Hey guys

Awesome to see a dedicated simracing subforum..

My new PC is on the way and I'll finally have 5760x1080!!

I've been drooling over the $800 simpedals (hydraulic brake omg!!) for a while... The G27 brake is killing me. Has anyone talked to someone who has tried them?

Don't know whether to save up or grab the fanatec v2 load cell style..

Go with the Fanatec CSR Elite pedals.
Having used both those and the Clubsport V2 pedals, I highly prefer the Elites :)

Go with the Fanatec CSR Elite pedals.
Having used both those and the Clubsport V2 pedals, I highly prefer the Elites :)

Yeah better materials means longer lasting.. I've tried a set of V2's and even though I like the feel of the load cell compared to logitech's potentiometer, it still doesn't feel like a real brake...:-/

The simpedals setup is $1000 AUD though, it's a bit of a bigger investment than my skill warrants I think lol..:p

Yeah better materials means longer lasting.. I've tried a set of V2's and even though I like the feel of the load cell compared to logitech's potentiometer, it still doesn't feel like a real brake...:-/

The simpedals setup is $1000 AUD though, it's a bit of a bigger investment than my skill warrants I think lol..:p

That was my dilemma as well. The hydraulic pedals are AWESOME, but I can't justify the 5X cost premium over the CSR Elite pedals.
It isn't a real brake, but it's darned close for a good price. Still a HUGE step up over any potentiometer brake :)

That was my dilemma as well. The hydraulic pedals are AWESOME, but I can't justify the 5X cost premium over the CSR Elite pedals.
It isn't a real brake, but it's darned close for a good price. Still a HUGE step up over any potentiometer brake :)

Yeah, so true... This 970 issue has really screwed over my chances of affording a $1000 pedal setup..

I just wanted to sli 2 970's for barely more than the price of a 980 and start upgrading my racing rig, but here I am with a x99 PC on order and nothing but a GTX 480 to put into it until I save another $250 for a 980 :nuts:

But like you said, the load cells, while not a real brake do solve the 'Oh **** BRAKE, lock up, crash, bye bye Irating problem' that you have with a potentiometer haha

DFGT, Thrustmaster shifter, and who's pedals?
Digging the tablet btw

That's the Thrust master T500 wheel and pedals , with the TH8RS shifter. Have a DFGT for back up , used it b4 i got the T500.. Also have a Ricmotech loadcell brake mod..I love the tablet for a dash.. I use dashmeter pro.. Works with most sims..Can always tell a T500 by the huge steel paddle shifter..lol I thought i wouldn't like the way they don't move with the wheel but i really like the whole setup.. Still wanna get a few different wheels for the base..

Last edited:
Anyone else have DiRT Rally?

VERY impressive physics. They finally made a DiRT game focused on super realism on the driving.
Controller players need not apply, you'll want a wheel for this.

So... I learned something the hard way on DiRT Rally.

On the 24 stage monthly challenge, if you ever total your car, you have to start over.
Also, you do have to repair the car as you go.

For anyone on the fence about buying DiRT Rally, do it.
If you don't want to listen to me, listen to the 93% positive of 1275 reviews on Steam.

For anyone on the fence about buying DiRT Rally, do it.
If you don't want to listen to me, listen to the 93% positive of 1275 reviews on Steam.

I loved DiRT 2 on the PS3 a lot! That game was so awesome. Then i bought DiRT 3 thinking it would be just as good, if not better, but that gymakhana stuff is not fun to me. The rally cross is where it's at for me.

Having just bought an AMD processor and getting the free game code, i think i'll try it out. Sounds like it's just the rally and trailblazer of Dirt2.

The last PC racing sim i remember really getting into was Dirt Track Racing 2. Does that jog anyone's memories? That sim is still supported today by what seems like a number of people with weekly events.

I loved DiRT 2 on the PS3 a lot! That game was so awesome. Then i bought DiRT 3 thinking it would be just as good, if not better, but that gymakhana stuff is not fun to me. The rally cross is where it's at for me.

Having just bought an AMD processor and getting the free game code, i think i'll try it out. Sounds like it's just the rally and trailblazer of Dirt2.

The last PC racing sim i remember really getting into was Dirt Track Racing 2. Does that jog anyone's memories? That sim is still supported today by what seems like a number of people with weekly events.

It's WAY more of a simulator than DiRT 2 ever could hope to be.
Absolutely try it out, but I hope you have a wheel.

Back