• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any GTA type games that are appropriate for 8 year old kids?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

My nephew is always harassing me about playing GTA:VC or GTA:SA and now that I'm planning on getting GTA:IV I'm sure he'll be harassing me about playing that too. Are there any mods for the GTA series that will clean them up and make them appropriate for an 8 year old kid or any games kinda like GTA but not really because there's no cursing, sex or violence?

My nephew is always harassing me about playing GTA:VC or GTA:SA and now that I'm planning on getting GTA:IV I'm sure he'll be harassing me about playing that too. Are there any mods for the GTA series that will clean them up and make them appropriate for an 8 year old kid or any games kinda like GTA but not really because there's no cursing, sex or violence?

Yes. There is a mod where the hookers you pick up and diddle in an alleyway are big bird and instead of fellating you they teach you about numbers and sharing. All the guns shoot either water or confetti, and when you shoot someone they spray rainbows and fall into a soothing sleep, only to awaken minutes later. There's no swearing. All the dialogue is replaced with dialog about Wizards of Waverly Place. Missions consist of politely explaining to criminals that they are bad people and they should turn themselves in, and spraying them with water if they disagree. The police are all very friendly and if you spray them with water they will giggle and begin playing tag with you. The Burger Shot and Cluckin Bell only serve Tofu and steamed broccoli and the Strip Club is a public library. Also, if you try to run someone over, they jump over your car like Michael Jordan and shoult "You're silly!". It's all very clean.

Otherwise, might want to try good old racing games. Get the kid a Wii U with Mario Kart 8, New SMB U, SM 3D World, Wind Waker HD, etc.

I don't even know what to say to this...... magellan, have you played these games?

Look into the lego games, they are usually rated 'E'.

I don't even know what to say to this...... magellan, have you played these games?

Look into the lego games, they are usually rated 'E'.

The lego online games are going away, they might already be gone.

I let my nephew play his lego games (the online ones) on my windoze 7 box, but he can see all the shortcuts to all the rest of MY games on the desktop.

I guess I'll have to create a restricted user account of some type, which I have no idea how to do in the windoze paradigm.

The lego online games are going away, they might already be gone.

I let my nephew play his lego games (the online ones) on my windoze 7 box, but he can see all the shortcuts to all the rest of MY games on the desktop.

I guess I'll have to create a restricted user account of some type, which I have no idea how to do in the windoze paradigm.

Its called "new user", then limit your user files.

Lego online? I was talking about the 25+ Lego games on steam.

As for your kids playing your games, that seems pretty simple.
Both my kids have access to my computer. 7 and 10.
They are told what games they are allowed to play.
If they play any of my games they lose access to the computer.

Last edited:
I agree with the suggestion about lego games. They're still violent though, so keep that in mind. It's cartoon lego violence but I don't know if you're ok with your kids shooting a lego laser out of a lego gun and hitting a lego minifig, making it explode into little lego pieces. There's Batman, Starwars, Lego Movie, LOTR, etc etc. They're all pretty cheap, pretty easy, and pretty fun. Not 10/10 titles by any means but they're not bad.

Lego Marvel Super heroes is open world, maybe he'll like it.

When I was 8 though I played a ton of GTAIII and GTA:VC, just saying.

there was a Simpsons GTA style game a while back. The new Lego marvel game is open world, and the Lego Harry Potter games had large open hubs resembling Hogwarts and its grounds between levels that were a game in themselves.

The new Lego movie game is kind of like it, but much more kid friendly of course. My 8 and 5 year old would play it for hours if I let them. It has missions and a story line of some sort but once they beat it they can go anywhere. Build and drive cars, etc. To me, it looks just like GTA but legos....and no hookers.

Nothing comes to mind because GTA has an adult themed style, I know that there are many other open world games but non of them will have all the features that GTA can provide.

Whether you want to hear it or not, my personal suggestion is to curve your nephews interest into different game types till he comes of age where he can go back himself and play those games and enjoy them himself.

Lego Marvel Super heroes is open world, maybe he'll like it.

When I was 8 though I played a ton of GTAIII and GTA:VC, just saying.

same here and last time i killed a hooker was ages ago :rofl:m
also if i was influenced by games when i was young i'd be listening to repetitive music and searching for mushrooms. Let him play some lego games, maybe some south park: the stick of truth, alltough not open world but it's very fun.

When I was 8 I was playing Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Turtles in Time... lots of violence. Bad graphics, but violence was there. I've never used a fatality or a katana sword of a hadouken on anybody in real life.

I think with so much more media out there brainwashing kids these days though, we have to be more careful with what we allow them to play.

Lego online? I was talking about the 25+ Lego games on steam.

As for your kids playing your games, that seems pretty simple.
Both my kids have access to my computer. 7 and 10.
They are told what games they are allowed to play.
If they play any of my games they lose access to the computer.

He's my nephew, I let him use my computer when he's visiting. I can't watch
him the whole time he's on the computer to make sure he's not playing the
bad games -- I have my own work to get done.

I guess I'll have to make a restricted account and put shortcuts to the clean
games he likes.

I can remember a time when video games didn't have cursing or explicitly sexual
content or graphic violence. Where's Kings Quest now.

Back