• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6870s BSOD when in Crossfire Mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aberration

So not long ago I picked up a pair of 6870s from Newegg.

After some heat issues (upwards of 70c), I remedied that with some aftermarket coolers, which now keep the top card at 55C and the bottom card at 49C. Coolers are dead quiet.

Recently (past month), the computer would do a BSOD at random. Sometimes at night when there was no activity on it. Over the past couple of weeks, I noticed the BSODs occurring when I was at the keyboard, sometimes when playing games, sometimes not.

So I pulled up MSI Afterburner so I could keep an eye on temps. Nothing out of norm, still at 55/49C.

I turned off Crossfire via the AMD Vision Engine Control Center and the BSODs have stopped altogether.

I have not changed any hardware, reseated any cards or the crossfire cable. It's weird to me that the problem was getting progressively worse until I turned off the Crossfire, now it's gone.

Any ideas on where to start without tossing money at the issue?

Have you tried each card individually? Are you running them both at stock clocks?

I just went through troubleshooting my Sapphire 7870's xfire'd with crashing in gaming.
Changed out everything. Ran each card each with no issues. But in crossfire, problems.
I ended up rma'ing both cards. Haven't got the replacements yet.
It looks like we're not the only ones having problems in crossfire. Maybe the batch of drivers?

Well, keeping my fingers crossed, I may have found the issue. Seems that there were some hardware related error messages that lead to a bad processor core.

So I turned off the unlocked 2 cores, re-enabled crossfire, and haven't had any BSODs yet.

Odd that the cores would give me grief after all this time, but, I guess it can happen. Back to 4 core for now.

Aha! The real issue just popped its head up tonight!

CPU fan failed to start when I had a power outage from a storm that rolled through.

So, after replacing the fan and kicking in the other 2 cores again, life is good!

what kind of proformance are yuo getting out of the crossfired 6870's?? just wondering because i just got 1 in my system and im thinking about picking up one in the future

I havent found anything I can't run at full resolution yet and get over 40FPS...

But then again, I don't play many games.

Battlefield3
Blue
CoD - MW3
Diablo 3
Mechwarrior Online
NFS - The Run
Sniper Elite V2
Rage
Skyrim
Warhammer 40000

Some of those games don't even utilize Crossfire.

Back