• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official How does CS:Source run on your ________ video card Thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the HL2 source engine is definatly a next generation game engine, along with doom 3. From the demos that I have seen, and the 1.5 hours I played of doom 3 on my friends computer, I am far more impressed with the HL2 engine. The charactor models look much better and the whole evironment as a whole was much more impressive to me. But who knows if the demo is an acurate portrayal of the actual game. We will just have to wait and see I guess.

Kobra007 said:
I was thinking the same thing.. HL2 engine doesn't impress me from the beta I played, Doom3 engine is definately far better looking.

But the thing is, you bring up a good point, HL2 seems highly dependant on CPU like older games, and not pushing GPU's at all.

With the price difference of the GT and x800XT, the value of the GT continues to show through in my opinion, especially with the BFG with its factory overclock, the numbers should be great.

If they weren't lazy and did SM30, then i'd expect a quantum jump in Nvidia. But Valve seems a bit lazy with HL2 at times, I don't consider HL2 to be a true next generation engine, but Doom3 engine is... But thats my opinion.

Doom look fine but Hl2 acts much more real in its immersion and interactivity.

Looks alone is like a pretty broad, its great at first buts gets boring real quick.

Kobra007 said:
Looks like those saying "Nvidia owns doom, but ATI will own HL2" were a good bit off the mark.. Looks like Nvidia does slightly better on some tests, and ATI does slightly better on others.. I call a draw - at least in this test.

So since Nvidia does WAY better in Doom3 - one of the major source engines being farmed to developers now, and about even in HL2, id say Nvidia would be a better purchase option.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1181

It's funny how they try to compare an ATi x800 XT PE to a 6800 Ultra and not a 6800 Ultra Extreme. If you do a test, do it right. You compare the best of ATi with the best of nVidia. :rolleyes:

CS:Source is now PLAYABLE!!!!!! but good luck finding an empty server. There is a built in video card stress test which gives you a score to compare against other set ups and video cards. So everyone do the test and list your score along with your vid card processor and ram specs.

Ill start......done on my friends comp.
Score - 93.7
CPU - P4 3.2
Video - Asus 256mb 9800 pro
RAM - 512mb 3200

1024x768 resolution: All settings at high and WATER REFLECTION = ALL not just characters but also the world:

2AA and 8 AF = 40FPS
2AA and 4AF = 42Fps
2AA and no AF = 45Fps
0AA and no AF = 76Fps
0AA and 8AF = 65Fps.

nissmo300 said:
It's funny how they try to compare an ATi x800 XT PE to a 6800 Ultra and not a 6800 Ultra Extreme. If you do a test, do it right. You compare the best of ATi with the best of nVidia. :rolleyes:
I think one person could count the total number of 6800 Ultra Extremes by using their fingers and toes. And at price-point, the only thing a 6800 UE competes with is an X800Pro bundled with a free AMD FX-53 processor. :rolleyes:

Albuquerque said:
I think one person could count the total number of 6800 Ultra Extremes by using their fingers and toes. And at price-point, the only thing a 6800 UE competes with is an X800Pro bundled with a free AMD FX-53 processor. :rolleyes:

ROTLMAO!

Played CS:S last night.

Reso-1280x1024
AA - 6x
AF - 4x
All settings to high
45 to 70 FPS (seems to average about 60)
All of this on a 6800GT (oc'd to 404/1100)

Albuquerque said:

Same can be said for the ATi X800 XT PE :rolleyes: It's an overpriced pile of trash which got it's azz handed to by a GT in Doom 3 :attn:

Let's see, I get about 70 fps, maxing out at 110, dipping to 55 during big firefights at 1024x768 with 2x AA on, with the system in my siggy.

My bro with the 9000 pro, XP 1800 gets 45fps at 640x480.

nissmo300 said:
Same can be said for the ATi X800 XT PE :rolleyes: It's an overpriced pile of trash which got it's azz handed to by a GT in Doom 3 :attn:

chill dude, no one said the NV cards sucked, so why do you insist on being such a fanboy, that you cant realize, that D3 is only 1 game? It isnt the be all, end all of games. ANY game thaat the x800 xt pe cant run, the 6800 wont be able to run either, so just chill and keep your fanboy comments to yourself. I think the NV cards are better this round as well, but i wouldnt go as far as calling the ATI cards a piece of trash. The ATI cards can perform just as well in doom 3 if they can write some decent drivers for OGL.

Gosh...why does every CS:S performance topic have to start a flame war? Just buy what you want and shut up about "This sucks", "Doom 3", "yada-yada", "UNGH". >< Please, we don't want another potentially good thread ruined. : /

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Where can you download CS:S? I just got broadband (384kbps) and finally, ATi drivers take me 20 min :D.

To be eligeble for the download, you need to have a HL2 Voucher or you have to have purchased CS:Z. Otherwise, currently, you cannot get it. :( :temper:

if you are gonna run this test please use 4x8x AAAF

ok here we go this is on 4.8s whql

All game settings maxed 4x/8x AA/AF

800x600: 126.54fps
1024x768: 114.23fps
1280x1024: 82.36fps
1600x1200: 67.43fps

Back