• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New RAM speed different ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys , as before Im only using 2X 4GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 @ 1600mhz RAM , now I've just added another 2X 4GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 @ 1600mhz
Now I've 16 GB total.
So the thing is , I open up CPU-Z I found out that the new RAM that I just installed has different speed as the previous one.

I too have XMP Profile turn on , I've to mention that when I install the new pair of RAM , I didn't had XMP Profile turn off , I had it on during the last time that I shut down my PC

To make things easy
New - Slot 2 and 4
Old - Slot 1 and 3

So here's the screenshot of CPU-Z showing my RAM. Also the new pair of RAM I bought too have a new packaging

So is this normal or what ? First time that actually running Dual Channel
I haven't try using MemTest86 yet though, will do so later.

EDIT : So I went ahead and did MemTest86 , did 2 runs , all Passed and 0 Errors , also did game for about an hour or so , so far no problems well there's bit of relief for now. But what's your opinion on this guys ??

(You may have to download the picture to see clearly)

Last edited:
Its the almost exactly the same. The biggest difference is the timings for the lower clocks, but really doesn't make a difference.

Its the almost exactly the same. The biggest difference is the timings for the lower clocks, but really doesn't make a difference.

I don't know how to read the SPD section TBH , but like you said I look it up , trying my HARDEST to understand...

It seems like that the Speed , it's same 800mhz = 1600mhz
Which should I look for to see my RAM's Timing ??
What's the different of Timing and Clock , Im quite noob in RAM
Mostly all I know timing is something like 9-9-9-24 something like that.
So there's nothing wrong with this setup ??
As I mentioned I had XMP Profile for my RAM , I didn't set them Manually.

The CPU-Z interface in those images are barely readable. Could you re-upload them at full size?

Sorry hope this is better

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/...4_01_04_15_16_26_676_zps246542ba.jpg~original

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/...4_01_04_15_26_52_908_zps5069a655.jpg~original

I don't know how to read the SPD section TBH , but like you said I look it up , trying my HARDEST to understand...

It seems like that the Speed , it's same 800mhz = 1600mhz
Which should I look for to see my RAM's Timing ??
What's the different of Timing and Clock , Im quite noob in RAM
Mostly all I know timing is something like 9-9-9-24 something like that.
So there's nothing wrong with this setup ??
As I mentioned I had XMP Profile for my RAM , I didn't set them Manually

I never use XMP and always set my ram manually, though my understanding is XMP just does it automatically. Don't think there is anything wrong with XMP, but I've been manually setting my ram for a long time, so I'm used to it. Don't know the exact definition between timing/clocks. Lower timings are better, its like latency. Higher clocks are better, its like bandwidth. Combination of both is best.

To see your timings, its under the memory tab in CPU-Z. You are correct in that you double the hz to get the speed.

I never use XMP and always set my ram manually, though my understanding is XMP just does it automatically. Don't think there is anything wrong with XMP, but I've been manually setting my ram for a long time, so I'm used to it. Don't know the exact definition between timing/clocks. Lower timings are better, its like latency. Higher clocks are better, its like bandwidth. Combination of both is best.

To see your timings, its under the memory tab in CPU-Z. You are correct in that you double the hz to get the speed.

Eh.........so is everything all fine here and nothing to be worrying about :shrug: ?
On Memory on CPU-Z this is what I getting

Channel : Dual
Size : 16384 MB

DRAM Frequency : 800.0 Mhz ( Sometimes goes to 800.1 Mhz then back down to 800.0 Mhz )
FBS : DRAM : 1:6
CAS# Latency (CL) : 9.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) : 9 Clocks
RAS# Percharge (tRP) : 9 Clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 24 Clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) : -
Command Rate : 2T
( The rest here all are Blank / Grey Out )

Yeah it looks fine, the main problem will be that the ram is rated for the two sticks rather than four sticks. Four sticks are harder to run at those clocks/timing, so I'd up the voltage to 1.55v. You can go higher if you notice any problems.

Post up screenshots of CPUz SPD tabs for slots 1 and 2 (so one of each stick). Also, host here at the site...

OCFinsertimages.png

Yeah it looks fine, the main problem will be that the ram is rated for the two sticks rather than four sticks. Four sticks are harder to run at those clocks/timing, so I'd up the voltage to 1.55v. You can go higher if you notice any problems.

What you meant by " the ram is rated for the two sticks rather than four sticks "
So basically the clock / timing could be a problem for running 4 sticks of RAM?

So I also went to Corsair Forum and asked around , I forgot to mention the RAM version was different, but the part number was same CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Old RAM - Version 1.XX
New RAM - Version 3.XX

Now what I hear he said, basically it's the same RAM, but he said Corsair might have used different chip or something. But I do notice the new pair I got was kinda " taller " or was it the other way around. Also the new ones I got had " black " PCB instead of " green " which originally it was back then when I bought the older ones.

His opinion is since that the RAM can even run together ( meaning that my system can detect all 16GB ) and that I passed MemTest86 , he said everything SHOULD be fine...hopefully.

Also I've attached the screenshots.

Desktop_2014_01_04_15_16_26_676.jpg

Desktop_2014_01_04_15_26_52_908.jpg

Last edited:
To take a screenshot of just the active window, use alt-prntscrn. ;)

Seems like they have one different timing in the xmp setting. Who knows what is in secondary and tertiary...

To take a screenshot of just the active window, use alt-prntscrn. ;)

Seems like they have one different timing in the xmp setting. Who knows what is in secondary and tertiary...

I want to show off my games :attn: LOL !
So basically it's XMP's profile fault ? Should I overclock the RAM manually then ?
I don't even know how to actually properly overclock RAM lol...

If you are using the xmp profile, it could be. But you are not overclocking. You are setting it to it's stock speed and timings.

If you are using the xmp profile, it could be. But you are not overclocking. You are setting it to it's stock speed and timings.

But Im using XMP , Profile 1
I check out a guide for Asus Mobo to OC , RAM I think I will give it a go doing it manually.

I think I kinda solved the problem here , but it's not a guarantee correct answer , just my knowledge and my theory.

Basically JEDEC# are the rated Frequency / Speed and Clock / Timing that my RAM is capable of running , it's not showing an " active " results of what's my RAM now is running.
So from the view of things , it seems like that the " slot 2 (new) " RAM kit I bought can actually run at even lower speed than the " slot 1 (old) " RAM kit , but for XMP state , it's the exact same for both my " new " and " old " kit.
Same Frequency / Speed and Clock / Timing.

Here read the second post.

http://www.overclock.net/t/593614/please-explain-the-spd-tab-to-me-in-cpuz

One more question , you know the Memory tab on CPU-Z which gives your RAM info and all , it is taking from one of your RAM right , but at which slot does anyone knows ??

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/879/cpuz_12gb.jpg

Again, you are NOT overclocking your ram. You would simply be setting to the stock (XMP) settings.

The memory tab shows what your memory is actually running at, all 4 slots. The SPD tab will display the JEDEC/XMP data for each slot (notice you can change the slot on that tab?).

Again, you are NOT overclocking your ram. You would simply be setting to the stock (XMP) settings.

The memory tab shows what your memory is actually running at, all 4 slots. The SPD tab will display the JEDEC/XMP data for each slot (notice you can change the slot on that tab?).

Isn't setting to XMP = Overclocking but an Auto sort of way ?
I mean if you said it's the Stock speed ,won't that be 1333mhz, for if you just slap on the RAM onto the Mobo and start up the PC , that's what's the speed it's showing.

Uh so if let's say I had 2 pair of RAM running at 1866 then another 2 pair at 1600 , what will the Memory Tab shows ?

So what I said and that guy said on the other forum , is it true that the SPD Tab it's only sort of a reference of what my RAM settings is capable of and most importantly that the " XMP " is the one that matches for all 4 Slots then it's all good ?

Ok... for the third time, XMP is not overclocking it is simply a way to set your rated speeds. The reason ram defaults to 1333 or 1600 is because of compatibility reasons. Not all ram systems can run more than 1600Mhz so to start it goes in at the most compatible (lower) speeds.

I believe it would default to the slower speeds for stability, but I am not sure. I do not believe, on your specific system (or any for that matter), that you can run different timings on different sticks/slots.

SPD tab is what the sticks will run at. Memory is what it is actually running at.

Last edited:
Ok... for the third time, XMP is not overclocking it is simply a way to set your rated speeds. The reason ram defaults to 1333 or 1600 is because of compatibility reasons. Not all ram systems can run more than 1600Mhz so to start it goes in at the most compatible (lower) speeds.

I believe it would default to the slower speeds for stability, but I am not sure. I do not believe, on your specific system (or any for that matter), that you can run different timings on different sticks/slots.

SPD tab is what the sticks will run at. Memory is what it is actually running at.

So basically if all 4 sticks aren't identical timing and all the PC won't boot up at all then ?

I didn't say that. I specifically said that usually what happens is it will match to the lower/slower speed and timings. What can happen is a no boot situation though, but not always.

What you meant by " the ram is rated for the two sticks rather than four sticks "
So basically the clock / timing could be a problem for running 4 sticks of RAM?

Can be, but not always a problem. Like I said, I'd just up the ram to 1.55v as it will probably just consume 1 watt more. Sometimes you might get issues in a very specific game at a very specific time and you can't figure it out if there isn't enough voltage.

Back