• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

processor choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redd84

Hi there im new to this and im wanting to build up my first computer im finding it difficult to choose the rite processor ive got 3 in mind these are, Q6600 Q9450 and e8400. Was wanting to know which is the best one? and best for overclocking? Im excited about building my first comp and learning more about computers and learning about overclocking it :)

Thanks for your help

Hi there im new to this and im wanting to build up my first computer im finding it difficult to choose the rite processor ive got 3 in mind these are, Q6600 Q9450 and e8400. Was wanting to know which is the best one? and best for overclocking? Im excited about building my first comp and learning more about computers and learning about overclocking it :)

Thanks for your help

What do you do with your computer?

Ok e8400 it is then cant wait to start it :) what mother board is reccomened?

I will want it for gaming and for the use of CAD software.

cheers

Welcome to OCFORUMS ! and if i were you i would get the Q6600 its a pretty good overclocker its a Quad which will be better for CAD then a C2D will and the price for performance ratio it is great.....yes the E8400 is a good processor will overclock a bit higher but put it this way for example you OC the E8400 to 4ghz and the Q6600 to 4GHZ (just an example) the Q6600 is 4 processors and the E8400 is only 2 so you could do the math. So just go with the Quad and you will be future proofing yourself for games that WILL take advantage of the Quads in the future. As far as the Q9*** they have a FSB wall of 450 so they will not OC very well....thats what turned me off about the processor yeah sure maybe after you break it in they will MAYBE go to 455-460...and thats a big maybe.

^^^ this is just my opinion and i read alot before i went out and got the Quad im comming from the E6750 that i had overclocked to 3.8ghz which isnt really much of a difference from 4ghz.

Welcome to OCFORUMS ! and if i were you i would get the Q6600 its a pretty good overclocker its a Quad which will be better for CAD then a C2D will and the price for performance ratio it is great.....yes the E8400 is a good processor will overclock a bit higher but put it this way for example you OC the E8400 to 4ghz and the Q6600 to 4GHZ (just an example) the Q6600 is 4 processors and the E8400 is only 2 so you could do the math. So just go with the Quad and you will be future proofing yourself for games that WILL take advantage of the Quads in the future. As far as the Q9*** they have a FSB wall of 450 so they will not OC very well....thats what turned me off about the processor yeah sure maybe after you break it in they will MAYBE go to 455-460...and thats a big maybe.

^^^ this is just my opinion and i read alot before i went out and got the Quad im comming from the E6750 that i had overclocked to 3.8ghz which isnt really much of a difference from 4ghz.

Q6600 @ 4GHz .... is fat chance so the comparison is not valid and thus why people ask this very same questions.

Q6600 @ 4GHz .... is fat chance so the comparison is not valid and thus why people ask this very same questions.

thats not true i got my quad @ 3.5ghz with 1.40 vcore.....(cpu-z) and well im pretty sure i could hit 4.0 with my quad...and that was only an EXAMPLE...and i notice thats the only argument you had so im pretty sure everything else i said was true =D thanks for confirming it for me. im building my custom water cooling so 4ghz for me should be pretty obtainable. and yes it is harder to OC 4 cores but thats life for you .

I will want it for gaming and for the use of CAD software.

cheers

quad ftw

i run my quad at 4ghz daily and she runs like a champ. hjighest i got it to was 4.1 but failed prime at 8 hours and temps were in the mid 60's so to hot for me.

If you use cad get a quad.

quad ftw

i run my quad at 4ghz daily and she runs like a champ. hjighest i got it to was 4.1 but failed prime at 8 hours and temps were in the mid 60's so to hot for me.

If you use cad get a quad.

NICE! your water cooling right? and if so what type of setup do you have?

thats not true i got my quad @ 3.5ghz with 1.40 vcore.....(cpu-z) and well im pretty sure i could hit 4.0 with my quad...and that was only an EXAMPLE...and i notice thats the only argument you had so im pretty sure everything else i said was true =D thanks for confirming it for me. im building my custom water cooling so 4ghz for me should be pretty obtainable. and yes it is harder to OC 4 cores but thats life for you .

You actually think you can do 4GHz JUST because you can do 3.5GHz at 1.4V?? LOL Mine can do 3.6GHz with 1.4V and 3.8GHz at 1.51V while 4GHz requires 1.6V on a triple radiator water cooling system with 6 fans on it and Apogee GT and it is not even Prime95 stable. Vcore is not linear and even if you can get it to 4GHz it doesn't even mean it will be STABLE. And even more assuming you can actually get it to 4GHz you also need to consider the massive heat produced. So NO not all Q6600 do 4GHz in fact very few can do it and you cannot compare overclocking a E8400 or X3110 to 4GHz to overclocking a Q6600 to 4GHz. Don't spread rumors when you have not even tried to push yours to 4GHz just because a couple of people have done it. At xtremesystems they have a large Q6600 OC database look it up and see what must Q6600 actually overclock to....

EDIT:
Q6600 OC databse
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157690

Last edited:
So just go with the Quad and you will be future proofing yourself for games that WILL take advantage of the Quads in the future.

"Future proofing" doesn't exist. Yes, games will eventually be using more threads, but by the time that happens the production CPU lines are going to own a Q6600 or Q9450. You should just buy for what you need in the next 6 months and go from there. The only exceptions really are motherboards, but even then a new chipset will be out with more features, etc...

My vote is for the E8400.

You actually think you can do 4GHz JUST because you can do 3.5GHz at 1.4V?? LOL Mine can do 3.6GHz with 1.4V and 3.8GHz at 1.51V while 4GHz requires 1.6V on a triple radiator water cooling system with 6 fans on it and Apogee GT and it is not even Prime95 stable. Vcore is not linear and even if you can get it to 4GHz it doesn't even mean it will be STABLE. And even more assuming you can actually get it to 4GHz you also need to consider the massive heat produced. So NO not all Q6600 do 4GHz in fact very few can do it and you cannot compare overclocking a E8400 or X3110 to 4GHz to overclocking a Q6600 to 4GHz. Don't spread rumors when you have not even tried to push yours to 4GHz just because a couple of people have done it. At xtremesystems they have a large Q6600 OC database look it up and see what must Q6600 actually overclock to....

EDIT:
Q6600 OC databse
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157690

you should make this your avatar :mad:

relax my man i just said quad is better then dual....why u jumping off a bridge? and the 4ghz was an EXAMPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Back