• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ugh. Raptor won't install windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avalanche83

I have tried to load windows on this thing like 10 times and it keeps hanging after it loads the kernal and drivers. It will say "starting windows" when it goes to install and just sits there. I did have windows installed on it once before, but got some spyware and went to do a reinstall and this happens. Any ideas?

The Raptor is a SATA Drive. You'll likely have to install the SATA Drivers for your motherboard. Copy the SATA Divers to a floppy disk & boot your comp using the Win XP CD. Very shortly after Setup starts, it will prompt you to "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver". Insert the driver floppy into your A: Drive. A few minutes later, Windows setup will install the SATA drivers. Setup will now be able to see your Raptor & will install Windows on that drive.
-Dave

I have done that and have installed windows on it before. Right now I am using it for games and apps so I know the drive is good. It almost seems like the memory freezes or whatever memory is used when it is installing the kernal and drivers before the actual install.

i installed windows on a sata drive.

have you cleared the cmos just to be safe?

in the bios is the sata drive being auto detected?

is sata enabled in the bios?

does your board have 2 or 4 sata ports and which one are you using?

the above helped me :)

If you are overclocked you should drop it back down to stock setting to make sure you are stable. It sounds like a possible instability problem.

I had a hard time also installing windows on my Raptor the second time around and remebered I ahd to unplug my second drive that was connected to the IDE controller. For some reason it kept trying to boot up off of that drive and would show the same symptoms you are having.

Ok. I have tried everything mentioned and still nothing.

Also, I have tried installing windows using a PATA drive and the same thing happens. What is going on?

Last edited:
avalanche83 said:
^^I have tried that. I have also tried using a stick of Corsair value select and the same thing happens.

I know it might be annoying, but fetch a copy of Memtest and run it through once. I swore that I had good memory in a system that I was trying to install Windows on... but sure enough, Memtest found errors! :bang head At least it wasn't my main rig that this happened on. Better safe than sorry, and a runthrough of Memtest takes less than an hour.

I am trying to install windows at stock. I have also tried installing on two different hard drives. One is the Rapter and the other that I have tried installing on is a PATA drive. Both won't get past the "starting windows" screen. Could it be a mobo issue?

Ok. The problem has been fixed...kinda. I had to dissable all I/O devices, usb, lan, audio, and take out all pci cards. Well I go to start up my Raptor and I get a BSOD right before the loading windows comes up, and it restarts. I have to boot with last known good configuration which doesn't help, because it doesn't remember all the drivers that I just got through installing. If I try to start windows normally I get a BSOD. Why is it doing this?

Back