• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE $500 Gaming Computer Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
under $400 maybe

phenom II 955
gigabyte 990 ud3/ud5
8gb gskill ripjaws/sniper
NZXT Beta Evo Mid Tower Black Steel Cabinet
any 450 or 500 watt gold certified psu
22 inch dvi/hdmi port AOC monitor
---> cooler master 212+ or thermalright 120 extreme cpu coolers or even a hyper tx 3 ( im using @ 4.1 ghz)<-----
amd radeon 6790/ 550ti or 6870/560ti for more $$
hp dvd writer
wd black 1tb 64mb or 2tb green or 500gb green for less$$
yup thats about it........:D:clap:

That looks like a pretty nice build rishidev, nice contribution. :)

Pretty similar to the knufire setup which is very nice also.

did a toms hardware build like 3 months ago. turned out pretty wellat about $545. i had hdd and a cd rom, but past that ...

Last edited:
I see a lot of people saying we did this thread already. In fact, I see threads like this all the time!

The thing is, it's a very good question and changes every few months. Should really be done as a seasonal or quarterly article here!!! As there are always people wanting that great deal on an awesome build.

Thats one of the reasons I love this forum, anyone can come here and get the true bang-for-their-buck computer without sacrificing any quality. ;)

I see a lot of people saying we did this thread already. In fact, I see threads like this all the time!

The thing is, it's a very good question and changes every few months. Should really be done as a seasonal or quarterly article here!!! As there are always people wanting that great deal on an awesome build.

Thats one of the reasons I love this forum, anyone can come here and get the true bang-for-their-buck computer without sacrificing any quality. ;)

It's done roughly yearly at the moment:
http://www.overclockers.com/?s=Buyers+Guide

Sometimes a build is quite subjective - there's maybe room for covering overclocking, gaming, number crunching, workstation, etc. as well as the price bracket issue ...

Personal preference plays a huge role in that selection also I would say. Due to that it really is a vague question to answer I have noticed. From what I have seen though there are a lot of requests for opinions for builds in the $500~1000usd range.
That is all well and fine, I was just thinking something non-biased that would give new users a good and recent place to start when thinking of buying a computer.

i5 @ microcenter for 150 this weekend makes an i5 build very doable, just add 30 bucks to my first build for a better case/psu combo.... 955 is still a good proc as well!

phenom II 955
gigabyte 990 ud3/ud5
8gb gskill ripjaws/sniper
NZXT Beta Evo Mid Tower Black Steel Cabinet
any 450 or 500 watt gold certified psu
22 inch dvi/hdmi port AOC monitor
---> cooler master 212+ or thermalright 120 extreme cpu coolers or even a hyper tx 3 ( im using @ 4.1 ghz)<-----
amd radeon 6790/ 550ti or 6870/560ti for more $$
hp dvd writer
wd black 1tb 64mb or 2tb green or 500gb green for less$$
yup thats about it........:D:clap:

Great pick:thup:

The key is to get a solid GPU, that will be the heart of the gaming rig....for a 22" LCD dont go lower than a 6870 or GTX 560 Ti otherwise your FPS will suck or you will need to drop the eye candy.

Skimp on the case as it is only cosmetic, PSU needs to be solid , 500W is plenty power though.
AMD quads and boards are cheap and can bring the overall cost down a lot without compromising performance compared to Intel parts

5001o.png

-AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 BE
-Motherboard feat. SATA 6.0Gb/s
-8GB DDR3 1600 CAS 9
-Radeon 6870 1GB
-500 GB SATA 6.0Gb/s
-600w Corsair 80 Plus PSU w/ 2 required PCI-e adapters
-DVD-RW Optical
-Standard cheap case
+ a free Dirt 3 game to boot!!

This all comes to $498.92 after rebates and codes!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back