• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

back in business and a few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

i am back in folding. i've been folding using the ps3 and now i've built a folding PC. i have a few questions.
1. as i am starting my first work, i've noticed that i have a very low estimated PPD. (i remember having the same PPD when i was folding on PS3 but this is a PC and i know its supposed to be higher)

Untitled-13.png

my folding@home rig is:

phenom ii x4 840 3.2ghz on stock cooling
2gb ram ddr 1333
FSP Supersonic 500w

2. what is Base Credit, Estimated Credit and Estimated TPF?
3. why is my next attempt is unknown? what is this supposed to mean?
4. why do i have a folding slot ID and Work Queue ID at 00?
5. why is that, that my F@H client doesnt use 100% of my CPU's 4 cores?

thanks guys. i hope you will be merciful to this folding noob...:rain:

1 and 5: In configuration you selected Uniprocessor work instead of SMP work. As a result, you're running on a single core of the cpu instead of all 4. Finish the current WU and and reconfigure the client, adding a smp slot and deleting the uniprocessor slot.

3. If you have a problem returning a WU, there will be a time in the next attempt.

4. More than one WU can be be associated with a single slot. If you had multiple instances of uniprocessor or gpus, you would have multiple slots. If a WU fained to return, the slot would have multiple queue IDs.

I wouldn't use the viewer for more than an occasional peek, it uses too many resources.

1 and 5: In configuration you selected Uniprocessor work instead of SMP work. As a result, you're running on a single core of the cpu instead of all 4. Finish the current WU and and reconfigure the client, adding a smp slot and deleting the uniprocessor slot.

3. If you have a problem returning a WU, there will be a time in the next attempt.

4. More than one WU can be be associated with a single slot. If you had multiple instances of uniprocessor or gpus, you would have multiple slots. If a WU fained to return, the slot would have multiple queue IDs.

I wouldn't use the viewer for more than an occasional peek, it uses too many resources.

how do i reconfigure the client? how do i add an SMP slot and to delete a uniprocessor slot? sorry for asking too much question but i have really no clue :rain:

configure, slots, highlight uniprocessor, remove, add, smp leaving index at -1, OK

Before doing that, press the finish button and wait for the current WU to finish.

Perfect timing, Raident30! Race will be starting in 16 days!

An index of -1 means use the next available slot. I suppose you'll find out if having the client start at the 5th slot works or not.

An index of -1 means use the next available slot. I suppose you'll find out if having the client start at the 5th slot works or not.

i see. after finishing one WU, does the client automatically download the next work? if yes, how do i disable this for the mean time while i adjust some settings for the next work?

Yes, it will load up the next wu, when the current wu is about 99% finished.

If you click on the "Finish" button, the current wu will complete, but no new wu will be downloaded.

We'll be posting up all the details, later. Suffice it to say, it's fun! Meaning of course, don't take it too seriously, it's not a matter of life or death - it's more important than that! :D

Yes, it will load up the next wu, when the current wu is about 99% finished.

If you click on the "Finish" button, the current wu will complete, but no new wu will be downloaded.

We'll be posting up all the details, later. Suffice it to say, it's fun! Meaning of course, don't take it too seriously, it's not a matter of life or death - it's more important than that! :D

thanks sir! i'll be looking forward to that race... i hope its noob friendly :D

Back