• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new pc is lagging/freezing/crashing and getting low fps in games HELP PLS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmic555

brought a gaming pc from ebay and on ebay seller page he states we will use branded products and we install a 700wat quality psu , well my pc gets here and its only got a 500w psu .... i email him and he said its got better power suply than the 700w he said we either use a corextreme or a storm 700w psu in thease systems,,,,i upgraded to a 6870 +fx8120 as it said on the seller page 700watt quality psu and 6870 reccomends a 600watt psu same with the fx8120 as i thort would be enoth power- i would have liked to have known what i would be getting before i pay for it

pc came with no os i install windows 7 - 64 bit home , i use mobo+ati disks update the drivers then all working well on desctop i dl a few games diablo 3 , world of warcraft and it wouldent work very well every turn fps went to 1 for a few seconds then continued this is me on wow at low settings VID OF WOW ON LOW SETTINGS i then downloaded an ati program that downloads all the latest drivers , i installed them , then i restarted the computer and wow played great i played a few mins , i then went on firefox watched a vid on youtube i restart up wow and its back its lagging like hell :( i think as i restarted system left it for 20 mins came back and as it was cold worked for 5 mins ,

i tried bearing thru it i played about 10-15 mins hoping it would stop and then it kept switching display modes from 800x600 to 1360x768 and kept repeating for 30 seconds then just froze waited 10 mins nothing so i had to turn of at power suply then when i turned it back on this is what i got (ERROR HERE) i continued to desktop[ and an error came up , no asus graphics card detected , i tryed to use a program that came with the 6870 smartdoctor and wouldent load so i then downloaded a program called gpu-z and it loaded all had numbers like 153gb/s i look down and the shaders are left blank , pretty sure they shouldent be as i tryed it on my lappy and section was filled

after reading up the hd 6870 says minimum 500w and recomended 600wat psu , and further reading under max load the fx8120 need 164 watts 6870 needs 254 watts , thats 400wats there then the case has loads of leds and fans , also ram+mobo+hdd+usb devices and this is without overclocking and the fx 8120 auto overclocks when needed i think increasing wattage to over 200watt

i think the gpu +cpu is trying to draw power what isnt there , like it goes to full power the power isnt enoth so it resets , might be why it only lags mostly when i try turning with a char as to render the bk ground it draws more power the power isnt there so it resets

will phone up the place i got it from tomoro when its open as i only got the pc this thursday ,as i was suppost to get a 700wat quality psu il have a moan about that aswell lol atm i am installing win7 again and the mobo+ati drivers see if it sorts it out ,

sorry for long post . any help apreciated

ok so heres my system i brought from ebay from a 100% feedback seller seemed a great deal,,,
AMD fx8120
16gb kingston 1.5v 1333mhz (x4-4gb)
ASUS M5A78LM USB3
asus HD6870 (EAH6870)
2tb sata 3 hdd
500w corextreme psu
gaming case with about 5-6 leds stips and aboutt 4 88-120mm fans (FULL SET UP HERE) - ebay
also came with a dongle + wifi mouse+keyboard dunno how much watt they will use but migth aswell ,

Last edited:
defiantly couldn't hurt to get a better power supply at least a 600-700 watt all the corsair's are great.
but im not convinced the lag is just your power supply typically if it dont have enough power for your system you would be getting BSOD tho your psu defiantly has some stability issues and i would stop using it right away if its surging as its probably going to blow out your whole system.
once you get a new psu if you still get lag run a few passes of memtest to be sure the psu didn't ruin your ram.

defiantly couldn't hurt to get a better power supply at least a 600-700 watt all the corsair's are great.
but im not convinced the lag is just your power supply typically if it dont have enough power for your system you would be getting BSOD tho your psu defiantly has some stability issues and i would stop using it right away if its surging as its probably going to blow out your whole system.
once you get a new psu if you still get lag run a few passes of memtest to be sure the psu didn't ruin your ram.

thanks for reading thru that :p and yes just installed win 7 again i put disk in for motherboard and it was installing a few programs like google chrome + the drivers but took 5 mins just to install.... also been freezing crashing on ie and running slow , i turned it off and phone them up tomoro hopefuly get a refund something is wrong i got a 6870 and would expect alot more , im sure most integated graphics can play games like wow on lowest settings and doesnt stutter or keep getting 1fps when u turn ,

yea thats why i think you might have ruined your ram,symptoms of to week of power supply would normal be BSOD or not booting to windows at all,
laggy system would normally be your ram or a SSD problem.

aparently he only did a 12 hour stress test , but if the computer didnt come without a os how did he test the graphics? or did he use something that just power it up then see if its crashes? dont know much about stress tests on new computers

he might have just used a live cd or a dos program,but more then likely just booted to bios and called it good.

Back