• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acer Aspire 5749 - Possible CPU upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

Someone ditched this 5749 on me. It's a I5 2450M, and, while it's a upgrade over my AMD X2 TL-64, the graphics simply isn't quite "there" with the Intel graphics 3000 stuff thats integrated in the CPU.

Seeing as the Sandy/Ivy bridge chips supposedly are interchangeable, Ivy bridge was released early 2012, and Acer released a BIOS update 2012/05/30... Anyone has a guess as to what my odds are a IvyBridge I5/I7 chip would run in here?

The reason this thing was dropped in my lap was erratic behavior, and it turns out to pretty much be bad memory. So i've sent a small question out to Acer to see if they feel like doing anything about that, as i suppose it's still inside warranty (mfg date 2012/03/16) but i have slim hope of such, since i have no paiperwork on the darn thing, as i said, got it thrown in my lap with a yawn "see what you can do with this" and when i told em what i found they simply said "keep it, trash it, what ever".

For what ever reason the forms on ACER's page don't want to let me fill in anything but the serial, or the SNID, forget verification challenge, much less name or anything, so i emailed the Swedish support asking primarily about the CPU support. (Might be an issue with Firefox?)
Once i get an answer there i'll prodd the issue with the defective hardware, and will see how that turns out, but for now, not really my main concern. I got memory, and in the case it's not enough, it's cheap stuff anyway.
Oh yeah. Just for reference, the laptop is not stolen, nor owned by any company / organization. The owner simply has more money then brains, and for once, it might work out in my favor.
B!

Unfortunately, I think you're probably at the mercy of Acer for the answer you're looking for. Maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who has that laptop and has done what you want to do. Short of that, if you haven't already scoped out the NotebookForums, someone there might have answers. There is a dedicated Acer section there too.
GL!

Damn. How do you know when you've been in to many places, and not paid enough attention... ?
You get recommended a site you never heard of, and when you try to register it turns out you did... 7 years ago. Heck, the email provider i used back then has closed down the domain, but sure enough it was one of my own emails.

Neat trick. Thanks. I'll plow through the forum and see if anyone has a clue.
B!

Back