• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R7 260X overclock Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digitalarm

Registered
Hello Everybody

I got a MSI R7 260X with the following specs:

CPU: AMD A8-6600K with 4.5 Ghz on 1.35V
Memory: 8,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 1866 Mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2 F7
GPU: MSI R7 260X 2 Gb GDDR5 OC

As you can see I overclocked from 1175 Mhz to 1249 Mhz and the memory clock from 1600 to 1800 Mhz. TEMP: 68 celsius MAX

Now my question is, how much voltage is enough, because I was on +15 mV, but as you can see it's now +10 mV

I got the overclock info from http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/10/08/amd-280x-270x-260x-reviews/10
Where they got good result from these numbers.

But I do not know what voltage should be right:forecast:

What they do say is the following: The first thing we noticed was that neither card could have its voltage adjusted, even when telling the software to unlock it. Nevertheless, we maxed out the power limit to 120% in both cases and got cracking.

So perhaps the Voltage does not matter, but that the Powerlimit is just at 120%.

P.S. don't mind the Sliders from the Core & Memory Clock these are at that point because: Extend official overclock limits is CHECKED at the settings.

Attachments

• Afterburner.png
    Afterburner.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 9,150
Power limit is that.. just a LIMIT. It has nothing to do with adding voltage.

That said, every core is different. Some can overclock a lot from its stock voltage, others, cannot. Some may need +10mv to reach 1249mhz, some +15, others none at all.

Power limit is that.. just a LIMIT. It has nothing to do with adding voltage.

That said, every core is different. Some can overclock a lot from its stock voltage, others, cannot. Some may need +10mv to reach 1249mhz, some +15, others none at all.

Allright, thanks for the reply.
And I have read that disabling the ULPS will give it better throttling, but instead It keeps the clockspeed at 1249 Mhz at all time also the memory speed of 1800 Mhz.
The GPU reached a new temperature with gaming of 72 celsius! , now I will try with ULPS enabled, to see if the temperature will ease a bit.

ULPS has nothing to do with the card at load... ;)

Alright, well I made a custom Fan controle, and pushed the voltage from +10 mV to +15mV, perhaps it demands more voltage because of the artifacts.

Now I will see if it will run more stable on Watch_dogs, since that is a demanding
game.

Furthermore the graphics levels are the same , both are 1249 Mhz clock and 1800 Mhz memory, as you can see in the picture, I say that in a tutorial or topic on this website that it is better for the performance, but now i think is has not a idle mode anymore???:confused::confused:

Attachments

• Level.png
    Level.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 7,865
ULPS is Ultra Low Power State... When enabled the card throttles at idle. Since you disabled it, of course it will not.

ULPS is Ultra Low Power State... When enabled the card throttles at idle. Since you disabled it, of course it will not.

Is that bad for the video card? whilst the temperature does not exceet 68 degrees celsius..

The voltage is now + 20 mV instead of +15 mV,
and played watch_dogs for 2 hours. Went to the Gym, got back to home, started watch_dogs and I got artifacts on my screen, shut the game down to desktop screen.
And it is still there...... to the top left little blocks flickering. No big stripes but irritating blocks artifacts... what to do?? :fight:

Artifacts after an extended time? Sounds like VRM overheat.

Voltage regulation module.

Wait, you stopped your artifacting by dropping CPU-NB? Sounds like you have stability issues besides the GPU...

Set everything back to stock, start over by overclocking one thing at a time and stress testing.

Earthdog , now it gets a kind worrisome

as you can see this is a huge artifact....

It goes well for 15 minutes but then I get this... and when I turn around it is gone.

please help because this is really annoying, perhaps I need to go down a bit, but the strange thing is... I overclock the video card first and then my CPU, as you can see in the CPU AMD thread topic: A8 6600K overclocking.

So, and then the video card with the current specs like now worked like a charm....:shrug:

Attachments

• artifacts.png
    artifacts.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 7,720

Wait, you stopped your artifacting by dropping CPU-NB? Sounds like you have stability issues besides the GPU...

Set everything back to stock, start over by overclocking one thing at a time and stress testing.

I thought it did, bit still I got artifacts as you can see in the picture above me.
CPU-NB is working fine. I don't have a clue how this could happen because the CPU overclock is super stable right now.

Memory clock I decreased from 1800 Mhz to 1750 Mhz, lets test..

So how can I stop this VRM overheating? because the GPU gets 68 degrees celsius maximum

The easiest way to check will be to set the GPU at stock speed and see if the issue still occurs.
If the issue goes away you either need more airflow over the VRMs or a better heatsink on them to sustain your overclock.

The easiest way to check will be to set the GPU at stock speed and see if the issue still occurs.
If the issue goes away you either need more airflow over the VRMs or a better heatsink on them to sustain your overclock.

Yeah that would be a good idea, I still need a side fan, I quess I will get the Fractal Silent Series R2 140mm tomorrow. The best think to use it like a blower instead as an exhaust? :clap:

Besides that, I will download MSI afterburner triple over-voltage, to see the VRAM temperature and perhaps give it more voltage? Or isnt that nessecary?:shrug:

Attachments

• VRAM.png
    VRAM.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 7,785
If you have the latest version of MSI AB, if your card supports the triple overvoltage and reading the temperatures of the VRM/VRAM (2 different things, note).

The 'triple over-voltage' is a feature on the cards, not in the software... though the software does have to support the controller IC to read and edit voltages and to read temps.

If you have the latest version of MSI AB, if your card supports the triple overvoltage and reading the temperatures of the VRM/VRAM (2 different things, note).

The 'triple over-voltage' is a feature on the cards, not in the software... though the software does have to support the controller IC to read and edit voltages and to read temps.

Alright thanks, and the memory clock is equal (in sync) with the VRM?

Back