• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Vdimm MOD P4C800 and P4P800 DELUXE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just added diagram for P4P800. this pic is for the Deluxe version but im sure the none deluxe isnt much diff. The pin for the mod is on the right side 2nd from the bottom if the board were standing up right.

p4p800.jpg

AZN;
The way you have done is acceptable do you think? But there is a better way of doing it! How? Well...

Nearly on all Asus Motherboards with an Intel Chipset with 533fsb support starting from i850E chipset to i875 ones, there is an empty capacitor place nearby the Ram slots. As I have tested on my P4T533-C, there are 2x1000uF 6,3Volt Rubycon + 2x680uF 4Volt (Probably an OsCon type very high ripple another than Samsung, 'F' signed Yellow colored another brand) capacitors gives regulation & by-pass ampere over duty for Ram supply for loading. I have 2360uF total power there originally.

If you place another very high ripple OsCon type capacitor to that empty place, it will provide additional power to Rams. This not only better regulates, it will also have a positive effect to benchmarks. I have used a Sanyo OsCon 4Volt 510uF capacitor for this place but, a 6,3Volt 1000uF Rubycon YXG, or 6,3Volt 1000uF Nippon Chemi-Con LXZ type capacitor may also fit but an OsCon type is better for higher Ampere pass-over for Ram load and stability. The way, that you have done is too risky by means of Electronics, because you have added a 0,25Watt or 0,5Watt capable variable resistor, which is too weak for loads. It might melt and pass over unneeded distortions to your Ram system. Because, capacitors are used for filtering purposes, if distortion was not a problem we don't need for capacitors on board. As a result your system will die 10 times earlier, by giving damage to your board and Rams.

Now I have 2870uF total power with higher Ampere allowance.

I can give you another example. If you have a fuse at home, and load higher than 16 Ampere from a 16 Ampere fuse, it shuts down. And if you need more than 16 Ampere, lets say 18 Ampere, than you need to replace the fuse with a 20 Ampere one. What you did is, adding an ordinary thin wire about 2 Ampere capable to get 18 Ampere. This goes for a while until the disaster. In case of short circuit, motherboard dies.

Did you understand?

Never advise people such kind of advice, until you really understand about electronics. You are not the only one. Some other people advices such kind of modding to run AMD 333fsb CPU's to run at 400fsb like your way. I don't want to hurt you, but the way is compltely false and risky.

Cemal Gurel said:
AZN;
The way you have done is acceptable do you think? But there is a better way of doing it! How? Well...

Nearly on all Asus Motherboards with an Intel Chipset with 533fsb support starting from i850E chipset to i875 ones, there is an empty capacitor place nearby the Ram slots. As I have tested on my P4T533-C, there are 2x1000uF 6,3Volt Rubycon + 2x680uF 4Volt (Probably an OsCon type very high ripple another than Samsung, 'F' signed Yellow colored another brand) capacitors gives regulation & by-pass ampere over duty for Ram supply for loading. I have 2360uF total power there originally.

If you place another very high ripple OsCon type capacitor to that empty place, it will provide additional power to Rams. This not only better regulates, it will also have a positive effect to benchmarks. I have used a Sanyo OsCon 4Volt 510uF capacitor for this place but, a 6,3Volt 1000uF Rubycon YXG, or 6,3Volt 1000uF Nippon Chemi-Con LXZ type capacitor may also fit but an OsCon type is better for higher Ampere pass-over for Ram load and stability. The way, that you have done is too risky by means of Electronics, because you have added a 0,25Watt or 0,5Watt capable variable resistor, which is too weak for loads. It might melt and pass over unneeded distortions to your Ram system. Because, capacitors are used for filtering purposes, if distortion was not a problem we don't need for capacitors on board. As a result your system will die 10 times earlier, by giving damage to your board and Rams.

I can give you another example. If you have a fuse at home, and load higher than 16 Ampere from a 16 Ampere fuse, it shuts down. And if you need more than 16 Ampere, lets say 18 Ampere, than you need to replace the fuse with a 20 Ampere one. What you did is, adding an ordinary thin wire about 2 Ampere capable to get 18 Ampere. This goes for a while until the disaster. In case of short circuit, motherboard dies.

Did you understand?

Never advise people such kind of advice, until you really understand about electronics. You are not the only one. Some other people advices such kind of modding to run AMD 333fsb CPU's to run at 400fsb like your way. I don't want to hurt you, but the way is compltely false and risky.

Well, he did write this at the beginning of this post:

"WARNING!!! THIS MOD WILL VOID WARRANTY AND IF NOT CAREFUL U CAN VERY EASILY DAMAGE YOUR MOTHERBOARD. mod at your OWN risk"

But other than that,, damn, you're smart! Adding an extra cap involves soldering, right? I would assume it does.

AudiMan,

Yes, of course it needs soldering. I can say that, my mod is a "WARNING!!! THIS MOD WILL VOID WARRANTY AND IF NOT CAREFUL U CAN VERY EASILY DAMAGE YOUR MOTHERBOARD. mod at your OWN risk" type too. AZN did right for including it.

Before soldering, 2 holes for the caps must be open. For this, can use ordinary sewing pins by cutting their top. Use some amount of Soldering Pase to ease the operation. First, apply the paste, than use the pin from top side to downwards with a 40Watt soldering iron. 30Watt is not quite enough, causes trouble because of not enough power. Pin may caught solder but keep on pushing with heat until it is free on the way, than remove it by the down side of the mobo. May use 1,2~4,5 pins until the holes are OK! Than insert the Capacitor and solder it by applying the Soldering Paste to fix it strong and shapy. Be careful to polarity! They generally looks from same direction with others. I mean from left side (Slot populated) Caps shows (-) sides of them or contrary etc.

The soldering method is good for making all type of motherboard modifications. Always use soldering paste to make it fine! Then clean the mobo with dry cotton. Later may use cleansers, such as rose or cucumber make-up cleansers at home, which might readily available. Finally good to use an ordinary tooth-brush for a cleaning tool.

AZN, you opened the forum discussion, I take the dice.
I know, but I will not stay long by pushing you.

Those works might be stealthy, traitor and saddening in the beginning. On those forums we share ideas. I like to hear any kind of reply if I am wrong or right. Go on testing mods, and do not quit. If we do not learn about electronics with those tools, we might be fools for buying them only, and throw them away in 3 years. Programs are changing, needs re-learning always, but if we learn electronics at once, this don't change. All practices, makes us growing and provides to think fine for them.

Bye,

Cemal Gurel said:
AZN;

Did you understand?

I'm not even going to say i know anything about electronics cuase i dont, I just learned this mod from other members and im passing on the how do the way i learned it. you have far more knowledge of this then i do so you should share your knowledge and perhaps your way of doign the mod. I just wanted more voltage to my ram and some members showed me how to get it but if you have a better way please by all means share it and take detailed pictures so we all can learn cuase after all this is what the forum is for. thanks

AZN

Cemal Gurel, I have to disagree with you regarding the use of capacitors. Capacitors do not add power, only power supplies and batteries add power to a circuit. Capacitors do store and release energy, but they cannot add more energy than they have stored in them. Capacitors are generally used to filter voltage spikes. If the voltage starts to go too high, the capacitor will reduce the voltage spike by storing some of the energy. Then if the voltage starts to go too low, the capacitor will reduce the voltage drop by releasing some of the energy it has previously stored. That is why there are so many capacitors on most mobo's.... to reduce voltage spikes as the CPU/memory/etc. load changes.

AZN's explanation about installing a VR (between PIN 6 and ground) does not run the risk of being over-powered or short circuiting. The reason is that the VR does not carry (or see) the power being supplied to the RAM. Look at the PIN connections on Page 1 and at Figure 10 on page 8 of this LINK. Under Figure 10 on page 8, you will see the formula Vo = 2.5V * (1 + R1/R2). R2 is located between PIN 6 and ground. By installing a VR between PIN 6 and ground (as AZN suggested), you are in effect reducing the resistance of R2. If you look at the formula, you will see that Vo is increased when the resistance of R2 is decreased. That is why installing a VR between PIN 6 and ground works. The other thing you will notice is that the power (and the current) being supplied to the RAM does not flow through resistor R2 or the VR.

volt moded my p4c800e-deluxe.
when set to 2.55V it gives something like 3.05V.
when set to 2.85V it gives 3.25V.
by the way voltage without memory istalled is higher than voltage with istalled memory. So may be the 1st reading after the mod should be done without memo at all, but callibration with potentiometer better be done with installed memory.

after several hours on 3.25 started to feel light smell of burned plastic. looked for the problematic place, but couldn't find it. mobo and memory seems perfectly OK. For just in case droped back to 3.05. Anyway cpu is limitting me till i install watercooling.

at 260 (my maximum 100% cpu stable fsb) geil PC4200 works with 2.5-3-4-5 timings. couldn't tighten the ras2cas to 3 even with 3438 timings. before the v_mod could run it at 3448. at 275 the timings are 2.5-4-4-6. above that the cpu is very unstable. before the Vmod could load at 3448, but didn't pass all the memo test.

Last edited:
hi dudes,,
sorry 4 my broken english,ill try my best .

i moded my p4c800e-deluxe too,
not with a pot ,
i took a 15k ohm resistor,
loks like these:
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/guides/voltage_mod/asus_p4c800-e/p3.htm

and the result is that i have 3,26v idle and 3,20 load
i can change settings in bios to what i want, but thers no changes!
from defoult till up to 2,85v settings , the mobo give me 3,26v !
i booted my BH6 with 240 1:1 2/2/2/7(not prime stabel)
but i saw pix with that combo that i have wich did 2/2/2/5 !
is this the end for the BH6?
my P4 3,0c goes up to 247 fsb stabl,
what did i wrong?
should i go to my dealer and take realy a 50k ohm pot,
even iss this better ??? !!!
btw. the messure without rams is still 3,26v, and ill tested id with 1 ram,
before it makes anything damaged,but thers no changes!

greetz
mika

here my sys @nethands
http://www.nethands.de/pys/show.php4?id=10314

ok,,

il changed my mod !

at first i schow you my first mod, was a 15k ohm resistor,
then i even have 3,20v at all time ! makes no differents wenn i set 2,55v in bios!
mod1_final01.JPG

then i changed the resistor with a 50k ohm pot !
and everything will be fine as well !!! now i can change my setting by bios,
when i set 2,85v the MB gives me 3,17v ! and so on !

this is my final v-dimm mod :

mod2_final01.JPG
mod2_cable.JPG

mod2_pot01.JPG

these results taken me to do this : :)
rekord.JPG

@3,26v !!!

i set the voltage down till 3,06 and i have now timings :

230fsb 1:1 2,2,2,5/8 perfomance mode : turbo ; PAT : on !

thats it folks :)

many many big thx to AZN !
its realy easy as pie !
next is a droop-mod standing on !
so long
greeetz
mika

this will be the 1st time i gonna mod my vdimm on P4P800 Deluxe
getting it to 3.3v and above to suit my UTT

anyone of u could recommend the k ohm POT for high 3.3v?

and also any cooling i need to take note of?

Last edited:
help

I bot a p4v88 asrock i no that the bord is made by asus and wont to overckock my p4 2.4 and i need to be able to over volt my cpu. can you help
mybe a bios or a mod thing.

ps. thax

DELLMONSTER said:
I bot a p4v88 asrock i no that the bord is made by asus and wont to overckock my p4 2.4 and i need to be able to over volt my cpu. can you help

ps. thax

First off this mod is for the P4C800 and P4P800 models made by Asus. Even if you're board was made by Asus (I'm pretty sure Asus and Asrock are different), this thread is for the vdimm mod, not a cpu volt mod. Make a new thread in the Vold modding section to see if anyone can help.

Advice Needed on P4C800-E Deluxe

I have an un modified P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard with a 2.8C Processor and a Vapochill Micro CPU Cooler. I am currently running Setti/Boinc software and have been unable to push past 3.45 Ghz without locking up. Please can someone tell me how I can change my settings to improve the speed and reliability of my machine.

I have tried manualy altering the Vcore settings, but that just seemed to make it even more unstable. So currently I have everything set to Auto apart from the CPU speed. which is 247 which gives me a speed of 3.457 Ghz exactly.

Ive posted my CPUID results Below.

CPU-Z Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU-Z version 1.21.

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 2 (1 Physical)

CPU#1 APIC ID = 0
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4
Code Name Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 2 9
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Brand ID 9
Package mPGA-478
Core Stepping D1
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
CPU Clock Speed 3457.7 MHz
Clock multiplier x 14.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 247.0 MHz
Bus Speed 987.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 3457.7 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

CPU#2 APIC ID = 1
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4 (logical unit)

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Motherboard model P4C800-E, Rev 1.xx
BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS revision 1016.001
BIOS release date 02/23/2004
Chipset Intel i875P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. A2
Sensor chip Winbond W83627THF
FSB Select 800 MHz
Performance Mode enabled

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 4x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 164.7 MHz
FSB:DRAM 3:2
CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Spelling of todays youth

I dont know what they teach in todays education system. But when I was at school 25 years ago, we had English Lessons. Can someone please tell me if that subject has now been axed from the school curriculum or somthing. Because This guy has made more spelling errors that correct words.

DELLMONSTER said:

ps. thax

My P4C800-E Deluxe, can run totaly stable , with out any mod at all ...
At Max of 3.399 .. Not 3.400 and over .

My CPU needs less Ampers at 3.399 , than 3.400 .

There is a balance point of Vcore + Amps draw = Max Watt of CPU Draw, at the specific MHz.
If you dont go further of what the P4C can offer, then you are rock stable.
Simple as that.

Last edited:
RobSPVM2000 said:
I dont know what they teach in todays education system. But when I was at school 25 years ago, we had English Lessons. Can someone please tell me if that subject has now been axed from the school curriculum or somthing. Because This guy has made more spelling errors that correct words.
LOL... Because of technology, kids today have a new abbreviated language. Maybe it's a combination of typing fast and shortcutting. My 16 year old can send IMs via a cellphone @ 30 words per minute..

Kirilakos...You have been singing that tune for years and I truly respect your opinion. The Vdroop mods don't add more current, only make the voltage more stable when high overclocking. We are both EEs and I'd love to respectfully debate either the need for droop modding or effectiveness of the chosen mode of implimentation.

Last edited:
Well i know my song well, and i keep my tune stable :)

If you are EE, then you know well the basics about palse based PSUs.
They are smarter than as !! So there is not need to say more.
I am not debating, but the Amps is the problem for the droop.
I have spent days and weeks and months playing around with this board.
Yes some higher voltage helps, even the chikens knows that.
But the point is that some folks do not know were to stop.
I am try to protect the non EEs. :)

Take care ..

Back