• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD CORE is back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I see the AMD PR machine is hard at work, too early to say what they are going to roll out but it's a cool vid. It's definately and APU of some sort judging by the logo.

Ya but it's a really good video. :rofl:
I'm with you Gonester I'll believe it when I see it.

It's not a new technology coming down the pipeline but a commentary on the whole AMD experience of the last several CPU generations. The key line in the video is, "Battles may be lost but eventually a hero will emerge." AMD, we're still waiting for the hero to come and beat down the Intel bully.

But how long do we have to wait Trents, and will any be left who still believe?

It's not a new technology coming down the pipeline but a commentary on the whole AMD experience of the last several CPU generations. The key line in the video is, "Battles may be lost but eventually a hero will emerge." AMD, we're still waiting for the hero to come and beat down the Intel bully.

Yep, I would be fine to switch back over to AMD if they had anything that was competitive, but they don't.

No interest in an APU on my side, /shrug.

I understand the APU focus by AMD. They've remained a viable company, although not yet filling their coffers with gold, based upon console supply contracts. APUs are likely the primary reason they still exist. The discrete graphics side of the business is certainly a strength for them but it is also developing the integrated graphics as well.

The video was interesting to me from the actual graphics involved in making it, more than any marquee' type teasers. Seems to me that the focus of AMD will be affordable entertainment chips as much as anything.

More APU.

Need X86 core with 2.2 Billion transistors PER single core. So all you need is a quad core. Slap in another extra L4 cache to try something different maybe...

I dunno. AMDs stuff hardly catches my attention for overclocking. Not sure if Johan can confirm if the newer APUs are good for daily OCed rigs, but I think he did have some fun with a quad sempron that was at least decently priced.

Affordability is what it looks AMDs aim is at the moment.

Coming CORE? What in hale? Crazy Over-Rated Experience? Crazy Outside Real Eventuality? I could not find any website expounding on what AMD meant by CORE. I have found a little somewhat less hyped road-mapping that says AMD is eventually planing to come again with better, faster x86 cpus. But that seems far in the future when 2016 is spoken of again as previously. But an unveiling in 2016 is not nearly the same thing as taking it to the house and using it.

I however am covered. I have 3 FX-8cores and two very good motherboards. I don't need bench numbers and I don't do heavy gaming, so I am good. If I get coins and heavy breathing all in the same year...well I could actually see an E series Intel mobo in my future. Just for funzies since I certanly have enough actual power already. So I am safe until AMD might move again. And I am safe if AMD never moves again.

I am close to having my Galaxy S4 do all my netting and have keyboard and mouse and Usb large drive attached, and that is a blast to deal with. Hook-up and go. That is what most of the other 98% of computer-like users really want anyway.
RGone...:screwy:

Coming CORE? What in hale? Crazy Over-Rated Experience? Crazy Outside Real Eventuality? I could not find any website expounding on what AMD meant by CORE. I have found a little somewhat less hyped road-mapping that says AMD is eventually planing to come again with better, faster x86 cpus. But that seems far in the future when 2016 is spoken of again as previously. But an unveiling in 2016 is not nearly the same thing as taking it to the house and using it.

I however am covered. I have 3 FX-8cores and two very good motherboards. I don't need bench numbers and I don't do heavy gaming, so I am good. If I get coins and heavy breathing all in the same year...well I could actually see an E series Intel mobo in my future. Just for funzies since I certanly have enough actual power already. So I am safe until AMD might move again. And I am safe if AMD never moves again.

I am close to having my Galaxy S4 do all my netting and have keyboard and mouse and Usb large drive attached, and that is a blast to deal with. Hook-up and go. That is what most of the other 98% of computer-like users really want anyway.

So you think ARM is where we are headed in the not so distant future?

So you think ARM is where we are headed in the not so distant future?

50 miilion kids with there heads in their laps has to be a sign of the future. My 3 kids ( all in their 20s) could care less if they ever have a "treaditional" desktop. :shrug:

50 miilion kids with there heads in their laps has to be a sign of the future. My 3 kids ( all in their 20s) could care less if they ever have a "treaditional" desktop. :shrug:

Desktops are on their way to being irrelevant except in a corporate environment. Most of my customers considering buying a new computer these days are looking at laptops, even though they will use them as workstations rather than as mobile devices. I try to explain to them that if it breaks it will cost more to get it fixed and that it is more likely to fail because of heat issues and will be less powerful but most don't listen. They like the space efficiency of a laptop.

Laptops and tablets are very popular, I was alluding more to the "next" generation. If it doesn't fit in their pocket it's just not convenient enough. One of my kids actually has a desktop that has done nothing but gater dust since he got his iPhone with a data plan. That six months ago. I might just have to rob it for parts. He he

Desktops are on their way to being irrelevant except in a corporate environment. Most of my customers considering buying a new computer these days are looking at laptops, even though they will use them as workstations rather than as mobile devices. I try to explain to them that if it breaks it will cost more to get it fixed and that it is more likely to fail because of heat issues and will be less powerful but most don't listen. They like the space efficiency of a laptop.

And laptops are more prone to damage in general due to being moved around a lot compared to a desktop. I've seen the damage from a dropped mobile phone and laptop and it's pretty unfixable, at least at a reasonable price. I haven't seen a dropped desktop although I'm sure it happens. And equally sure it's more easily repaired.

I haven't seen a dropped desktop although I'm sure it happens. And equally sure it's more easily repaired.

I have seen one of those cross through the forum, he's quite a regular poster and had a bum arm at the time. It was a heck of a mess considering it was water cooled and even took the case with it. 40 lbs from 3 feet has a pretty good build up of energy.

I really wish amd would step up its CPU games. Sure APUs are the future but thats a long ways off.

I really would love to see a brand new generation of FX.

I must admit, I like Mac Notebooks better than PC's. I've never used a Mac desktop before, but both my kids have Macs and they just seem faster than a PC with the same or less hardware.

Back