• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm writing my own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's going okay. I've been busy, lately but I'm still continuing on progress. I'll keep you guys updated on progress! :D

Writing an OS? I'm sure that will be great experience. Though x86 is probably quite a challenge. I wrote a very simple OS for my microprocessors class a few years ago. It was written in assembly for the Motorola 6811 microcontroller. Nothing too complicated, but it did do multitasking and handled input/output via a serial port. It took me 3 days to write :D

My dad brags about writing an OS in machine language back in the day.

Hehe...my dad always talks about using punch cards to input your program one command/line at a time...puts a whole new light on the CPSC classes I'm taking...

WRITING YOUR OWN OS AT THE AGE OF...WELL....NEARLY 16 NOW I GUESS?!?!:eek: wow...I wouldn't even know where to start to do that...I will hopefully in a couple years when I take my OS class and my computer architecture classes and all that fun stuff...

An interesting project indeed. Keep us updated on your progress, some day I'd like to see the finshed product.

just use sourceforge.

you will get a nice yourname.sf.net
NO ADS!

none of the "Do you wish to install such and such from blah blah blah... trust content from blahula" when you leave either...

and you will get free listing in their 'repository'... free ssh to their server... they will host your downloads too. All for free.

They also provide free cvs too. Its nice.

I'm fairly sure they provide php too.

Damn, man... I'm in awe.

You've gotten me inspired to learn Assembly, too! Got a nice Cyrix 200 sitting doing nothing, would be a good guiney pig ;)

Oh, and I'd love to be on your mailing list!

[email protected]

Thanks man, I look forward to hearin from ya!

Aggieeng said:
Hehe...my dad always talks about using punch cards to input your program one command/line at a time...puts a whole new light on the CPSC classes I'm taking...

WRITING YOUR OWN OS AT THE AGE OF...WELL....NEARLY 16 NOW I GUESS?!?!:eek: wow...I wouldn't even know where to start to do that...I will hopefully in a couple years when I take my OS class and my computer architecture classes and all that fun stuff...

lol so does mine. even has some pictures of dudes carrying around huge boxes of punch cards :D. also talked about an old machine that had 8 buttons, representing 1 BIT in an 8 bit character (basically 1 measly letter like 'A' for those of you n00bs ;).
and in case ya didnt get pm (not sure if it worked) I would like to be on the mailing list too [email protected] is email to send to

Garfield said:
I just ordered some (three) free Intel books on the Architecture of the 32-bit processors and is quite necessary for OS dev. I'm eagerly awaiting them (there's a backorder :(). If anyone wants, I could give them the link...

would i be able to get the link for that? i'm gonna be starting university in september, and i'm gonna try to specialize in OS development, so those books would be a great asset.

-daga

You oughta be able to find them on Intel's site. I wouldn't be surprised if they had free pdfs of the books up on there site. AMD has lots of docs on the x86-64 instructions up for free too.

daga5831 said:

would i be able to get the link for that? i'm gonna be starting university in september, and i'm gonna try to specialize in OS development, so those books would be a great asset.

-daga

could I get that link too? I can always use more informationa dn resources for what not. Thankls

Check out what I just got!!!!!!!!!

fc9feed4.jpg

Nice! You got them quick! It took me a couple of months. They were back-ordered. Have fun with them! :)

Nice! You got them quick! It took me a couple of months. They were back-ordered. Have fun with them! :)

Back