• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with 6950 shaders unlock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blarf

Hi,
As the title states, I'd like to unlock the shaders of my 6950. i can only find tutorials on how to flash it to a 6970.

could i get some help please

What you need is this tool:

http://www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip

Download/Extract to your HDD.
Save your stock BIOS as original.bin in the same folder where you extracted the above file.
double click the run.bat file... it will take that bios file and mod it to only unlock the shaders. That way you can keep the card as a 6950 and only unlock the shaders.

Once the tool has finished you will have a modded.bin file in the folder. Flash your card with that BIOS and that's it.

Thanks, that's what i needed. unlocked shaders and it works great.
Now, i saw that there is a bios that unlock the shaders, bump the gpu voltage and increase the core to 880, without touching the memory voltage.
is that safe?
or should i just overclock manually?

What you need is this tool:

http://www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip

Download/Extract to your HDD.
Save your stock BIOS as original.bin in the same folder where you extracted the above file.
double click the run.bat file... it will take that bios file and mod it to only unlock the shaders. That way you can keep the card as a 6950 and only unlock the shaders.

Once the tool has finished you will have a modded.bin file in the folder. Flash your card with that BIOS and that's it.

Thanks, that's what i needed. unlocked shaders and it works great.
Now, i saw that there is a bios that unlock the shaders, bump the gpu voltage and increase the core to 880, without touching the memory voltage.
is that safe?
or should i just overclock manually?

Entirely up to you. I keep my 6950 at stock settings simply because the card, as is, is more than enough to power my gaming needs.

I also have the reference xfx 6950 2 gb and im really positively surprised by it

I unlocked the core to 1536 shaders no problem. then I started OC'ing it in afterburner and without touching any voltage control I hit a stable 940core / 1470memory which gives a really nice bump in fps. I also noticed that when you OC, anything over 900 on the core is useless if you don't bump the memory. When I hit the 940 core (950 blacks out on me without voltage increase) I had my memory set at 1400. I went on to increase the core as I figured it would give me more performance while upping the memory could give me instability. With 1.175 on the core I hit 990 but honestly, there wasn't really a performance gain, there was something else, something that looked like stuttering. So I started upping my memory and I already noticed an improvement in fps when I hit 1420 and my going to 1470 just made it go so fluent. 990 however wasn't stable in crysis 2 and I had to go down to 960 which is quite good.

however since summer is around the corner and AC power costs are gonna hit hard, I think i'm gonna check how much of a difference there is between 940 that I can run on stock voltage vs 960 that I run on 6970 voltage. Although, that 990 if I up the voltage to 1.2 I wonder if it'd be stable.

temps are fine, made a custom profile in AB and I max out at 68 degrees full load. I wonder whats the max stable temp for voltage regulators. I saw temperature spikes that easily go 37 to 44 one second after another. when I dont do anything its around 33-34 with my fan profile. stock cooling from the bios makes it idle around 37-40 so I guess 44 is nothing to worry about.

and about that sapphire card trueplaya. I donno, some said that it has different voltage regulators and 6970 bios volts on the memory kills the cards. so I donno if sapphire is good if you want to oc your card. unless its very good on stock volts like mine.

hi i flash my new 6950 reference xfx to 6970 every thing was ok until i run bench heaven 2.5 an i see tha the tessalation graphics was tottaly diferent i wana mean that the tessalation graphics was not so detailed like before the flash .

I try severals bios all works ok but all present´s the same thing.
I really dont know if it is a really problem or maybe the tessalation on a 6970 works diferent that a 6950.

Any one has the same problem?????.
thanks and sorry my english.

Emiliano

Back