• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Saw a spark come out of my GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pillar02

Registered
After i installed everything in my computer the psu was making some noise bcause of the wires so i decided to move them around while the computer was on (yes i know stupid) and i don't know what happened i might have touched a wire to the gpu or something, anyways i saw a spark come out of the gpu. The pc didn't shut off or nothing and i tested out a game and everything seemed to work fine besides what i thought was kinda low fps but everyone says it seems normal. I'm just wondering if i could have damaged it and cause it to be slower than normal or if it works it works fine?

Yeah i think it was a static spark, wasn't like smoking or anything.

Move your computer to where you cant see in it and you wont have problems like this anymore...

Move your computer to where you cant see in it and you wont have problems like this anymore...

Or shut it down when you stick your hands in there :p

I'm guilty of doing stuff inside my rig when it is on though. Dropped a paper clip onto my 7800GT once and fried it :chair:

Or shut it down when you stick your hands in there :p

I'm guilty of doing stuff inside my rig when it is on though. Dropped a paper clip onto my 7800GT once and fried it :chair:

Plugged in a floppy drives power cable when the system was still on, instantly took it out. That's the worst I've done. 'Hot swapping' hardware ftw! :shock:

I also managed to plug in a floppy drive while the computer was on and somehow i put the powerconnector on the wrong way (Many years ago btw and the floppy drive was a cheap one )

What happened was that 3 chips inside the floppy exploded and the computer kept on running like nothing had happened. Im actually stil running that computer as a server. My room was also filled with smoke and a smell of burned electronics.

Well, while installing my W/C loop, I "unfortunately" unplugged one of the tubes while the PC was on and I "hot rinced" the whole rig: MoBo, GFX card, Ram...

I thought it was a "RIP" rig... but NO! Only one ram module burnt, quickly replaced by Corsair!

God was with me this evening...

Well, while installing my W/C loop, I "unfortunately" unplugged one of the tubes while the PC was on and I "hot rinced" the whole rig: MoBo, GFX card, Ram...

I woke to my computer being off one morning, which was odd as it runs 24/7.. Case was full of water, barb broke off the pump.

Whipped out the hair dryer and layed parts out in the sun. Reassembled and everything lived!

Cutting traces on cpu's with a exacto knife, that didn't go too well a time or two..

Back