• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Network problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
O.K. I think I found something I didn't notice before. In the network profiles for a home network there is an option to turn on or off file & printer sharing. Each time I click on turn on file & printer sharing & click save changes it goes back to turned off. I can't seem to get it to stay on.
I'm working on that.

O.K. I think I found something I didn't notice before. In the network profiles for a home network there is an option to turn on or off file & printer sharing. Each time I click on turn on file & printer sharing & click save changes it goes back to turned off. I can't seem to get it to stay on.
I'm working on that.

That definitely sounds like it would be the issue.

Are your network connections set to Home, Work, or Public?

Hi, we have a winner. Most everything was O.K. on both computers but for one thing. Workstation on computer 1 was disabled (don't know how it got that way) wouldn't have been me because I believe that was the first time I've ever been in there.

Things are working pretty good now but still not great. I believe now it is with my sharing & I will work on that. Have learned a lot with this, THANKS :salute: :clap:

5Mb/s or 5MB/s?
Which revision of CAT5 are you using? I get ~100MB/s, as I'm maxing out my Gigabit network.

Not sure exactly, but I've never had more than 8MB/s. No gigbit though... router is only fast ethernet..

I'll get more details when I get home.

Not sure exactly, but I've never had more than 8MB/s. No gigbit though... router is only fast ethernet..

I'll get more details when I get home.

If your router/modem/switch is only 10/100 that's the speed limitation. You'll need Gigabit to get more than 12MB/s, but that's the theoretically perfect number for 100Mbps.

No, it's that it won't let me access some folders that are shared & I can't get some folders to be shared. Some of the problems is that it comes up & says I don't have permissions.

I'm assuming this is an OS drive you're sharing?

I'm assuming this is an OS drive you're sharing?
Yes

I expect the folders you're having issues with are something the OS has locked down, such as Program Files?

When you try to get to one of these folders, does it prompt for a Username/Password?

If it does, put in the Username/Password for the machine you're trying to access, not the machine you're currently using.

I expect the folders you're having issues with are something the OS has locked down, such as Program Files?

When you try to get to one of these folders, does it prompt for a Username/Password?

If it does, put in the Username/Password for the machine you're trying to access, not the machine you're currently using.
Sometimes it does ask for this but I don't have passwords created. The problem is that something is creating a credential & putting it in the vault with a password & I have no idea what it is. I just go in & delete the credential & it is o.k. until the next time it shows up again.

Sometimes it does ask for this but I don't have passwords created. The problem is that something is creating a credential & putting it in the vault with a password & I have no idea what it is. I just go in & delete the credential & it is o.k. until the next time it shows up again.

Honestly, I've never tried this on a machine without a password.
Did you disable the option for password protected sharing?

Back