• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which notebook would you pick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilneel12

I am stuck on which notebook to get. I am getting it for college and will not be really using it for gaming. Only one of the 4 laptops im looking at have a widescreen glaretype screen and this is something i want but i am willing to go without if the other laptops are a good deal better.
here they are:

1)Asus M5N(855 chipset)1.6ghz
2)Asus S5N(855 chipset)1.5ghz
3)Asus Z33A(barebones)(915 chipset)
4)ESC G220 (barebones)-has glaretype widescreen(855 chipset)

If i get #3 or #4 i'll be putting a 2.0ghz chip in there. If i get one of the others, i'll probably wait till prices drop and then maybe upgrade a while later.

i know that the dell 700m is very good also, but i don't really want to get that. Also i really like asus as a company, i know its realiable and i like the fact that their body's are made from some carbon composite material to make it stronger(that could be just BS), but i don't like that they are not widescreen glare type. And i like the ESC cause it has widescreen glaretype, but i don't know how good and realiable it is.

please make choice by performance, quality and realiablity.

I would go with something that has the 915 chipset as it is more recent. also I believe the 915 chipset is the chipset you can do the Dothan 1.6GHZ 400FSB -> 2.13Ghz 533FSB pin mod with

if you go with #3 then you can save yourself money by buying 1.5 or 1.6 and pin modding it to 2.0 or 2.13.

well, i already have a very good computer for gaming and power using so this is only going to be for taking notes in class, music, movies, and the occasional gaming. Also, i don't really care if i have ddr or ddr2. it just happened to be the only one that actually was in the price range im looking for and with most of the specs i wanted.
-are there any others with the 915chipset and 12.1 widescreen glaretypes?
price is 850$ max for barebones and 1150$ for complete.

The dell 700m is probably too small for college use.

Personally, I'd get a Dell Inspiron 6000 with the WUXGA truelife screen, and use one of their big coupons to get it. I seriously doubt you'll find a better deal anywhere else.

TheGreySpectre said:
I would go with something that has the 915 chipset as it is more recent. also I believe the 915 chipset is the chipset you can do the Dothan 1.6GHZ 400FSB -> 2.13Ghz 533FSB pin mod with

have any details on that?

i would pick the msi megabook s260, it's widescreen, has the special coating, comes in sexy white, and u can pop a max of 2gb of ram in there!

i've narrowed it down to either the

msi s260
or
asus z33a

-main differences are
msi-bigger battery, wide glossy screen, can hold up to 2gigs of ram, dvd-rw
asus-a bit thinner, not as heavy, realiablity and reputability of asus

one thing i was wondering about is why does it say ddr333 for the msi s260, when the chipset is the new 915 and the ram should be running at 533 with the fbs of the chip. every website i saw it at said the same thing. now it should be taking ddr2 and that is at least at minimum 400mhz.
can someone please clear this up for me
thanks

compaq r3000

You can pick up a used one for $600-$700
you can upgrade proc to
3700 A64M 754
Mem to 2GB ddr
its a Nforce 3 150 MB you can use clockgen to reach 200fsb
you can use crystalcpuid to underclock and undervolt to improve batt life

Don't hit me for saying this but I had to.
If you're not going to play games on it and you don't want to spend much money then why don't you just settle for a really good P3 laptop for <$400 shipped. I just got an Evo N600c 1ghz w/ 640MB ram for $380 shipped. It's absolutely flawless, battery is perfect as well as the rest of the laptop :) The guy I got it from has 5 more, says they're from one of those big companies that always keeps upgrading their computers.

Ok, rant aside, I go with the Asus if you must :p

violineb's suggestion is pretty good and will save some money, something like those Thinkpads that skou refurbishes and sells in the classifieds.

Back