• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lets Pretend. Dream Laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MmCheeto

Ok im working a ploy here. I might have the option to trade my Desktop Rig that my dad gets all wet over for a laptop. The stats on my rig are on my sig. Anyways I was gonna tell he he could have it if he gets me a laptop. My problem is. What to get???? I would want something that comes close to my PC as far as stats goes. I figure 3k or less would be spent to get something like that.

So. Lets pretend you have between 2 and 3k at your disposal to get a laptop. What would you get if you where in my place?

For $3,000 or less we are looking at pretty much any high end laptop. My top choice would be the Dell XPS with Intel Pentium M 2.13 GHz and 6800 Ultra Go. No other laptop that I know of has comparable graphics power, except the Dell Inspiron 9300. If you want to save some cash and get similar performance the 9300 is the way to go. The XPS is not much better and is a good deal more expensive.

if you want similar performance the only 2 laptops that come close are the dell xps2 and sager 9880. you have to decide if you want a pentium-m (xps2) or p4 (9880). the p-m will give better battery life.

i have the XPS2 and it rocks. definetely if your looking for the best laptop on the market, it is the one. I got mine with a killer deal, i stacked 2 coupons for 45% off and paid 2k out the door. Those kinds of coupons arent around all the time but if you look u can save alot of money

I'd look into a high-end toshiba or ibm and customize it. But the XPS2 has gotten good reviews or so I've heard. I just prefer IBM and Toshiba laptops over dell. Defenitely go Pentium M. Way bettter than P4.

Why would you get rid of your laptop? If you get a XPS Gen 2 your going to have HORRIBLE battery life, just like any other high end laptop with a high end gfx card.

My laptop narly gets 3 hours. Imagine if i had a ultra....

Why exactly do you want a laptop?

sager 9880. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm goood. Wish you could get that one with a pentium m. Sager 4881 is looking pretty sweet also for a centrino book. i9300 or XPS are both good choices. IBM is definately worth looking into.

J.

Encore2097 said:
I'd look into a high-end toshiba or ibm and customize it. But the XPS2 has gotten good reviews or so I've heard. I just prefer IBM and Toshiba laptops over dell. Defenitely go Pentium M. Way bettter than P4.

what exactly do you use it for, what are your thoughts on a tablet? could save a LOT more cash

I would get an IBM if it was me, just because they are higher quality and reliable. If you want gaming performance, it's not a good option, because of the lack of powerful GPU's.

Slackfumasta said:
I'm not so sure that IBM can still be considered 'better quality' now that they have sold their desktop and laptop business to some company in China.

As some of you know, I am partial to the IBM T2* series. They aren't new, or even bleeding edge, but they are durable.

With the sales of IBM's laptop division to China, the quality has deteriorated. I'd steer clear of IBM, for a while at least.

steve

I would go with the XPS2, and while battery life wont be great it wont be what I would call horrible. The old xps's had horrible battery life with battery life under an hour, but the XPS2s are speced pretty close to my 9300 and I can get 4 hours out of my 9300 so I would Guess if you turn everything down you can get at least 3 with an XPS2

Back