• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU & CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4oh4

Registered
I'm kind of new to the whole compatibility aspect of this, so I was just wondering: if I have an AMD processor (x6 Phenom), do I have to get a Radeon GPU (HD 6850 atm)? I haven't bought either part yet, and I am leaning toward Radeon anyway, but am I tied to this by using all AMD parts?

no you can use an nvidia card if you choose to. SLI will be more difficult to implement than crossfire, but not impossible.

Thanks. I believe that I'm sticking with Radeon for the price/performance/etc. but it's nice to know I can branch out.

Nope you can mix and match any type of GPU/CPU combo. The only thing is that a majority AM3 boards support only crossfire, however there are lots of sli/xfire boards our there so that isn't really an issue. Also that is something you would care about if you were planning on a multi-gpu setup.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a Gigabyte Socket AM3 Motherboard to go with the x6. It's not as highly touted as some of the Asus ones and all, but it's affordable and supports everything I want it to. Do you all see any conflicts here with this hardware?

CPU:
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Si...UTF8&coliid=IA2Q45MX6YGEG&colid=26OPJ6PIKMKNE

MOBO:
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Sock...TF8&coliid=I24VJAQEDIYQQ1&colid=26OPJ6PIKMKNE

GPU:
http://www.amazon.com/Radeon-GDDR5-...TF8&coliid=I115SQWZIX6BZ8&colid=26OPJ6PIKMKNE

Sorry for all the links, but I'm concerned about compatibility and I am new to the computer building game.

I really appreciate it. I think that setup will prove to be both affordable and of high performance!

Just a thought but the Biostar TA890 is the same price and I would argue that its a better board. It allows for crossfire down the road and it also overclocks like a madman.

linkage

I guess the only thing I can think of is no USB3

What exactly does "crossfire" fully entail? Any other boards that do include USB 3.0? I do a lot of file transfer and the rates of 3.0 are so much better.

What exactly does "crossfire" fully entail? Any other boards that do include USB 3.0? I do a lot of file transfer and the rates of 3.0 are so much better.

With crossfire you can add an additional 6850 down the road if you like for increased performance. If that is something you do not care for that Gigabyte mobo you linked before is an excellent choice.

Yeah, see I mostly do minor gaming along with a lot of academic work, so I believe that it should do pretty well. I've looked at benchmarks and even at highest resolutions on most games (basically anything minus Crysis haha), the GPU still hits 40-50+ fps. So, as I'm on a budget, if I have to play Crysis and other extremely advanced games on less than highest settings, I can deal with it. Thanks a lot for the input, though.

Yeah, see I mostly do minor gaming along with a lot of academic work, so I believe that it should do pretty well. I've looked at benchmarks and even at highest resolutions on most games (basically anything minus Crysis haha), the GPU still hits 40-50+ fps. So, as I'm on a budget, if I have to play Crysis and other extremely advanced games on less than highest settings, I can deal with it. Thanks a lot for the input, though.

In that case the parts you linked are perfect for your uses. Happy computing :thup:

Back