• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXPIRED Potential good deal on comptia training?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is absolutely a good deal.
The three classes are normally $795 each from ITU.

I might actually get in on that, even though I already have several years of IT experience and a Computer Engineering degree. Always good to have on a resume.

I signed up as well. $100 for the 3 courses (A+, Security+, and Network+), so worst case, I'm out a few games from the Steam sale :D

The courses are open for a year, so there really isn't any pressure to try and cram it all in.

That part is nice, I'm so bad when it comes to learning multiple courses at once. Also note and to anyone else, the groupon MUST be claimed by christmas eve otherwise it expires.

Last edited:
does this include the actual test and certifications? looks like a great deal.

i call too good to be true, every situation I ran in to... you study, then take the test directly via CompTIA.

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/Bu...rsity-online-in-new-york-ny-141949/complaints

real or fake?

looks like just the classes, then they send you somewhere else to take the actual test for $200-$300+ each.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/303734-it-university-online-deal-comptia-four-courses-99

I'm pretty sure it should be understood that this is course materials online. Unless it was a discount directly through comptia I dont think you could ever get materials + the 3 exam vouchers for $100. I'd like to know what sources you have for your all inclusive training and pricing for it. Also that customer complaint in the BBB link you shared sounds like someone who literally didn't bother to do any research prior and got burned.

Well yeah, kind of expected that:

Three courses for CompTIA IT Certification
Video lectures and multimedia presentations
Exam simulators
Complete at your own pace
Gives a head-start to a tech career

Doesn't say anything about offering the actual CompTIA exams. Still I figure it's good just to get an idea of what questions are asked, go through the presentations, etc. I actually don't mind paying to take at least one exam down the line.

yea yea, i just got excited at first. CompTIA classes/certs are something I'm considering to advance my career; though I've been in the repair industry for 15+ years. Just wanted to sort out the details, yes i read the BBB complaint.

Just to mention something, and Janus, I don't know if you also feel this way with your team, but I just asked my boss about what value he places on these certs. He said the Network and Security are good to have, but the A+ certification is barely worth the space n your resume. The test basically consists of installing an OS, setting up drives, etc. Basically the type of stuff most people should be able to figure out just by spending a few afternoons looking through old forum threads around here. Supposedly this means it's value has degraded over the years.

Also it should be noted that as of 2011, the certifications are not longer permanent and need to be renewed every few years, or you need to sign up for the CompTIA courses.

I believe that the certs are good to get your foot in the door but don't make up for experience. They can be an introduction to someone that is getting into an entry-level position.

Fortunately A+ has been updated pretty regularly lately, so at least you aren't still dealing with IRQs and such like a handful of years ago. Network+ and Security+ are the main benefit of the pack. A few guys on my team purchased and my boss said he would reimburse for anyone that bought which is nice as well.

Agreed! ^^

The A+/N+/S+ certs are helpdesk type stuff. Its not until you get into the MCSE/MCSA/CCNP/CISSP/CHE/CISM that you are getting into Sys Admin level. Experience is most certainly key. And knowing the basics that A/N/S+ provides is huge to move forward to the rest of those certs.

And knowing the basics that A/N/S+ provides is huge to move forward to the rest of those certs.

Yeah, that's what I got from my boss as well. These certs are good for showing you know the basics with potential to move forward down the road as needed.

That is mostly why I'm going for these certifications. My resume lacks the real world experience in these fields so it's nice to have something that seems to be pretty well accepted on there.

Just a bit of an update, decided to go through the first lesson just to see how its setup. My only issue with it so far is it seems like its a bit overwhelming to the average user. The instructor seemed to spend a lot of time going on about several things at once and then mentioning "but don't worry, we'll talk more about that later" instead of focusing on relevant things before moving on.

/edit

But I do feel like they do a good job of covering all the information you would expect them to.

Just a bit of an update, decided to go through the first lesson just to see how its setup. My only issue with it so far is it seems like its a bit overwhelming to the average user. The instructor seemed to spend a lot of time going on about several things at once and then mentioning "but don't worry, we'll talk more about that later" instead of focusing on relevant things before moving on.

/edit

But I do feel like they do a good job of covering all the information you would expect them to.

At least (s)he didn't do what my calc professor did in college - "I'm not even going to review this piece of info you should have learned from a course I didn't teach 3 years ago ("what a twist" mode, we didn't), and then base an entire exam on top of it." That was fun.

I haven't started yet, but it's on the to-do list.

At least (s)he didn't do what my calc professor did in college - "I'm not even going to review this piece of info you should have learned from a course I didn't teach 3 years ago ("what a twist" mode, we didn't), and then base an entire exam on top of it." That was fun.

I haven't started yet, but it's on the to-do list.

I had a really awful professor for Hardware and OS (back to back classes with the same guy, ouch indeed). He broke the classes into "study groups" which were basically responsible for deciding who read what, and then do a review of the material the day after. He would chime in every so often to explain some concepts but for the most part was run by the students. All of his exams were 100 question multiple choice that you answered in a bubble sheet and were graded accordingly. I feel like had he not been there, there would have been no change in what we learned :rofl:

Back