• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torrent and Comcast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

razorseal

Man, lately, whenever I fire up vuze to download a torrent (whatever it might be) as soon as vuze is up, my internet stops working on my desktop! (the same computer that has vuze installed)

what the hell can be causing this? its on a proxy of like 43534 or something, so the port is high in number as well....

any help?

I'm able to use utorrent, but it can be very, very slow at times (I'm also on Comcast). What I've had to do is pause the torrent during the day and start it up again overnight.

Take a look in your event viewer and see if you are getting events with the number 4226.

I never had this issue until the last month or two. But when it started, I would startup utorrent and my internet connection would DIE. The issue is that windows was limiting the TCP connections. I'm not sure if it was a recent patch that caused it for me or what, because as I said, before I didn't have this issue.

But to fix it, I found this program that patches the TCPIP.sys

download this program and change the limit to something like 100 or 150 and it should be much better for you (assuming this is the problem; as I said, check your event viewer, it'll tell you)

For the record, I'm not on Comcast. And when I was (previous to Oct 2008), I didn't have issues. In utorrent, make sure you set your protocol encryption (Options > Preferences > Bittorrent > Outgoing Protocol Encryption)

Some ISPs simply limit the bandwidth that is available for bittorent traffic where as Comcast throttles your speeds to slow/unusable levels.
Ernesto @ Torrentfreak had this to say
Unfortunately, these more aggressive throttling methods can’t be circumvented by simply enabling encryption in your BitTorrent client. It is reported that Comcast is using an application from Sandvine to throttle BitTorrent traffic. Sandvine breaks every (seed) connection with new peers after a few seconds if it’s not a Comcast user. This makes it virtually impossible to seed a file, especially in small swarms without any Comcast users. Some users report that they can still connect to a few peers, but most of the Comcast customers see a significant drop in their upload speed.

The throttling works like this: A few seconds after you connect to someone in the swarm the Sandvine application sends a peer reset message (RST flag) and the upload immediately stops. Most vulnerable are users in a relatively small swarm where you only have a couple of peers you can upload the file to. Only seeding seems to be prevented, most users are able to upload to others while the download is still going, but once the download is finished, the upload speed drops to 0. Some users also report a significant drop in their download speeds, but this seems to be less widespread. Worse on private trackers, likely that this is because of the smaller swarm size

Although BitTorrent protocol encryption seems to work against most forms of traffic shaping, it doesn’t help in this specific case. Setting up a secure connection through VPN or over SSH seems to be the only solution. More info about how to setup BitTorrent over SSH can be found here.

Last edited:
Take a look in your event viewer and see if you are getting events with the number 4226.

I never had this issue until the last month or two. But when it started, I would startup utorrent and my internet connection would DIE. The issue is that windows was limiting the TCP connections. I'm not sure if it was a recent patch that caused it for me or what, because as I said, before I didn't have this issue.

But to fix it, I found this program that patches the TCPIP.sys

download this program and change the limit to something like 100 or 150 and it should be much better for you (assuming this is the problem; as I said, check your event viewer, it'll tell you)

For the record, I'm not on Comcast. And when I was (previous to Oct 2008), I didn't have issues. In utorrent, make sure you set your protocol encryption (Options > Preferences > Bittorrent > Outgoing Protocol Encryption)

This worked for me as well. I changed the half-open to 80 and no longer have internet slow downs when using bitcomet. I should note this worked on Win XP

Back