• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to find a nice sound card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My issue is, my NH-D14 is in the way of my PCI Express slot so I need to find a card that uses PCI and is under $40

Like I said I have the PCI slot. I also have another PCIe 3.0. The only way I can get the space needed to access my PCIe slot is if I take one of the fans off my Nocuta cooler

Holy sh*t really? I didn't know that was a thing. How would I line it up though? Is there an instruction set you could lead me to?

It only fits one way :) The small first notch lines up with all cards. I ran a x1 in a x16 for a while. I have a x1 NIC card in an x16 slot on a ITX board.

You can also run an x16 in an x1/x4/x8, provided that the connector is open ended (which only seem to be on server boards).

PCI-E is designed so they all work together.

Keep in mind though that depending on your board, using a x1 card in your x16 slot can drop your main video card down to x8, depending on your chipset.

Holy sh*t really? I didn't know that was a thing. How would I line it up though? Is there an instruction set you could lead me to?
:confused:
I was confused as to why you kept talking about x1 slot being covered up, pcie is pcie, you can't fit gpu into x1 pcie since its not a full size pcie but sound card can go into any pcie slot, like cullam3n said it will cut your pcie bandwidth, unless you got 2011 board, those can do 2 x16 or 4 x8, but it shouldn't make any noticeable difference.

Would it work with my Asrock Extreme 3 Z87?

Looks like you got 2 pcie 3.0, so I would say if you install sound card into second pcie 3.0 you will run at x8 and x8, not really and issue, but since you got like 3 pci slots open I would look for pci card, since using your last pcie slot will prevent you from sli/crossfire if you would choose to do so in a future.

Last edited:
I used Asus Xonar pci cards in a past and in sub $50 range xonar ds and xonar dg are pretty good sound cards.

Sorry to bother you fine folks again but I have no idea how to hook my speakers up. None of the holes on the card are color coated.

Well I went to Best Buy today and I saw a Soundblaster Z for $105 and I had just that so I picked it up

Well I went to Best Buy today and I saw a Soundblaster Z for $105 and I had just that so I picked it up

Should've just ordered that from NewEgg or Amazon for $90, save yourself a little.

The Z should do fine for you, for best results look at getting a desktop amp for it due to the poor amp use on the Z, ZX, and even the ZXR.

Back