• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need Help Choosing Speakers and Headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj1992

Hello guys, I just ordered a Creative Sound Blaster Z Sound Card, which should be an improvement over the ALC898 onboard. Currently I have a Sennheiser HD 180 headphone and I-ball 2.1 Speakers. These won't do jusice to my new sound card. Please suggest me a good 5.1 speakers and a good headphone which should get well along with the Sound Blaster Z.

A home theater setup with a digital amplifier/receiver is the way to go. It won't actually take advantage of your sound card as it's digital. For headphones, I really like the Klipsch S3. Compact, great audio quality, and it sometimes goes on sale for about $20.

What's your budget for speakers and headphone?
(List seperate budgets for each)

Your sound card is more than fine btw and it is one that comes highly recommended over at OCN.

My budget is in total within $200 to $250. I don't have separate budget for each, but am willing to spend for a good price/performance product. I mostly play games and listen to music.

If I may, I would suggest getting either speakers now, or headphones now, then saving for the other.

A decent pair of headphones tend to be within the $100 - $250 range, but speakers are something that can cost exactly the same or more as well.

For me at least for speakers it would probably be Swan M50W 2.1 speakers. But for 5.1 you can look at Logitech's 5.1 speaker setups, though for their good ones you will be look at $300+ if I remember right.

As far as headphones go, THIS can be interesting as sound varies from person to person. Sooo try to answer any of these as best as you can:

- What type of music do you listen to? (also point out what you listen to most often)

- Would you prefer isolation? (Low amount of noise can be heard from others around you and low amount of noise you can hear from noises around you)

- What types of games do you play? (And which do you play the most)

- Would you prefer a set of headphones with booming bass (similar to a subwoofer) or detailed bass (you can hear the low frequency, but it doesn't "pound" or "attack", instead you hear it with great detail)?

Ok then, first suggest me a good 5.1 speaker setup within 200-250 range. I'll get the headphones next month.

Go for a digital amplifier/receiver and separate speakers. Used is a great choice if you're on a budget.

I'm going with the Logitech Z623 and the Sennheiser HD 280...total cost is around $300. And thanks for all the help. :)

Back