• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone had a GTX 580 die from folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I guess mine is dieing,I can only get %42 usage out of it and it artifacts like crazy in a game..Tried replacing the driver and it didn't help..Temps have never been above 77 to 80..Im stumped..
PPD is down to 7244 .

GPU is probably fine, but folding causes other components to overheat on the card, such as the VRM, and RAM.

Looks like it's time to RMA it...

Folding is known to shorten the lifespan of GPUs...

Last edited:
Well its the PSU,only getting 10.5 on 12 volt rail..I changed it out and it is working fine now..

Glad you got it working. I have had a dozen times when I thought a GPU had seen its day...but with cleaning and sometimes a refresh of the client install and or windows install they have always started working fine again. Case in point, is an old 8800Gt I thought was done, but here it is again, chugging along happily in a new install.

What PSU was it?

The SilverStone in my sig.
Not sure what happen here,I took it out looked it over put it back in and all is working again,its full modular maybe the plug was lose?
Anyway it is chugging along again back to 12.1v under load with SMP and GPU.
Made sure the fan is working..Just glad it is going again:soda:

Hopefully not a capacitor going bad on you....

Yeah me too..I know SilverStone has good PSUs,I have an older model 850 Zeus from 2006 and it is still going strong in case I need a backup to RMA this one..

Glad you got it working. I have had a dozen times when I thought a GPU had seen its day...but with cleaning and sometimes a refresh of the client install and or windows install they have always started working fine again. Case in point, is an old 8800Gt I thought was done, but here it is again, chugging along happily in a new install.

LOL I will keep that in mind when I have that problem again.Im glad my 580 is OK:D

Well its the PSU,only getting 10.5 on 12 volt rail..I changed it out and it is working fine now..
I could have told you that *if* I had thought of it and sent that idea to you but I didn't do any of those things cause I had no idea. I'm just sayin' is all.

Happy to hear your new card is still doing well. Fold on!

Ok now my 580 is down clocking,using half its core speed and half memory..I know it isn't over heating what could be doing this?

Where are you getting this information?

I've read about it here. Can't remember where, but one of the write-ups or something.

Case in point.... I had a brand new 8500GT started to artifact on me yesterday. Put it in a new machine this morning and installed the latest drivers - it started to artifact after installation. All it was doing was folding 24/7 on my work computer, which I barely use as I'm on my laptop. I swear one of the older folders said it.

Ok now my 580 is down clocking,using half its core speed and half memory..I know it isn't over heating what could be doing this?

Did you install newer drivers than what you had before???

Where are you getting this information?

Based on the number of G92 cards I've seen die that never played a game (all F@H) it certainly does shorten cards lifespan. Team that I fold for (XCPUS) has probably seen 30 cards die I'd guess, and we only have 20-25 active folders depending what time of year it is.

Dave,
Open the nVidia control panel and under manage 3d settings, Global Settings, Power management mode, change from Adaptive to Prefer maximum performance.

If statements like the fact that folding shortens GPU life....could we safely assume GPU boards/components are not nearly as well built as mobos and components for CPUs?

well...

If statements like the fact that folding shortens GPU life....could we safely assume GPU boards/components are not nearly as well built as mobos and components for CPUs?

eh.. maybe if we are talking about reference cards on a model to model basis, if we want to quibble.. then the assumption would still have to be demonstrated as all being part of the same manufacturing ptocess, and it would be widely seen on one GPU or another. Besides, NVIDIA actually makes some of the best processors in the world, that are used in the world's fastest computer..

http://pressroom.nvidia.com/easyir/...rsion=live&prid=678988&releasejsp=release_157

Forgettiing Sandy Bridge so soon are we?

..so no, we can't safely assume..

-TG

Based on the number of G92 cards I've seen die that never played a game (all F@H) it certainly does shorten cards lifespan. Team that I fold for (XCPUS) has probably seen 30 cards die I'd guess, and we only have 20-25 active folders depending what time of year it is.

At stock Clocks or being pushed to the limit.

Back