• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is a 3007WFP over kill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

So I got approved for dell financing. Is this thing overkill for gaming? Would my GPU even been good enough to game with this?

--pak

You should be able to run WOW on it with little lag, I wouldn't expect to play Oblivion on it though :).

Section8 said:
Get the 2407. The 30 ich really needs Dual 8800's to shine at max resolution and settings.

maybe I can pass for newegg pay later option....muahah lol

--pak

dfonda said:
Those finance charges are killer.

You get 6 months to pay in full, same as cash. No finance charges. If you are talking about newegg atleast.

--pak

and I just double checked, I got the same plan with Dell aswell.

--pak

For your rig thats over kill. even the 24inch is over kill. I say get a nice 20inch like the 2007, and save the rest of your money:beer:

I personally would never want to limit my gaming capabilities that much.Especially with dx10 right here.. and even more importantly dx10 games. How good do you think those 8800's really are at <insert oblivion equalivent dx10 game> I wouldn't want to be forced to upgrade so often.

Honestly If I were you I'd get 2 2407's or something like that :)

edit: Just read your specs and would have to agree with vengance_01

Really? I couldn't hang with a 2407? That sucks!

I do plan to upgrade my system as I always do. Eventually, I will have a 8800/DX10 card. Right now, I can not justify the prices. Right now I have a gateway 22" CRT and have had it for a good 4 years now. I plan to do the same on a new monitor.

So in terms of size, is the 30 inch overkill? Is it too big for gaming? If so, Ill be getting the 2407.

--pak

the 30inch in price is overkill if its just for gaming. But get it if you want it, its you that have to live with the decision, not us.

You'll be able to power a 24" with a 7900GT, I've got one and my 6800GT can get by at 1920x1200 in most new games. Now that I've had the 24" for awhile, the 30" is the only monitor I can see myself getting next-if you get the 30" I don't think there's anything out there that you can upgrade to!

If a 6800gt powered a 24, i wanna believe I can handle a 30inch. I dunno, maybe not.

Does anyone happen to have a 30? I think I am going to go to the mall today and look at them in person.

--pak

pak said:
If a 6800gt powered a 24, i wanna believe I can handle a 30inch. I dunno, maybe not.

Does anyone happen to have a 30? I think I am going to go to the mall today and look at them in person.

--pak

Pak

I currently have the 24'' Dell and I personally wouldn't go any bigger for PC. For Console gaming, that might be a different story. I demo'ed a 30'' for a weekend, and it is more realestate than I could handle. I physically I had to move my head to see different parts of the screen. I found it to be limiting in FPS, and my 7900 did lag a bit in WoW. You think it can run it, but you can't; at least the way I would want to. I had a 20'' also though, and I found the 24'' to be the perfect combo personally.

I run a 24" dell. It is truely the biggest I'd suggest for gaming on a single card. Some games I have to run at a less resolution if I want all the graphics turned up but its not horrible. Most games I run will run at high res and most of settings cranked. If you plan on going crossfire or SLI with the newer DX10 cards then a 30" might be the place to look, 24" would be the good middle road and, 20" would be the lowest. Single GPU 24" max, 20" more or less the ideal monitor, and really I can't suggest any lower it just doesn't pay for LCD wise.

Oblivion plays decenlty on my setup currently, I never did try it again when I had my X2 and X1900XT GPU (had a X1800XL prior to that). The X1800XL did run decently I did have to run it in window mode at 13xx by 768 but I had HDR, AA, and nearly all settings tweaked out. Currently with what little oblivion I've played so far the X1900XT and my rig can handle Oblivion 1920x1200 w/ HDR, untweaked so far 40-80FPS indoors. Outdoors unknown since I was starting over and just haven't had extensive time to play it yet. But I still need to tweak the graphic settings as well and have all the updated textures as well enabled. I expect it to run about as good as my X1800XL card on my setup but I really don't mind since I'll get a new GPU shortly.

pak said:

It would power it on the desktop, but games would be a slideshow. I run two 7900GTs in SLI on a 24" Gateway (1920 x 1200), and I'm at my limit in terms of pushing pixels with this hardware. Here's the math:

1600x1200 = 1,920,000 pixels
1920x1200 = 2,304,000 pixels; 20% more pixels than 1600x1200
2560x1600 (Dell 30") = 4,096,000 pixels; 113% more pixels than 1600x1200, 77% more pixels than 1920x1200

The jump from 1600x1200 may be considered trivial, and I think the OP's hardware could handle a playable framerate in most games. However, the jump from either 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 to 2560x1600 is decidedly non-trivial, and would require at least a quad-sli or dual-8800 setup to run games at the native resolution at a decent framerate.

Another vote for the 2407 - I can play most of my games at 1920x1200 with some eye candy - not everything though. Anything over 24'' is going to be big if you are somewhat near the monitor. I as well, have to move my head to see some things on my LCD... but I would not have it any other way!!!

I have a friend who use to be a member here who runs a 2407. He is doing this on last I heard on a 9700 and he plays WoW. So if he can do it on that card you should have no issues with the 7900GT.

Edit just talked to SpeeDj and he is pushing the 2407 with a 6600gt

Last edited:
You guys are all ignoring important points.

The pixel lag on the Dell 30" is painful. Fantastic monitor for photo editing, but even Mac users (the Mac 30" is the same LCD panel from LG) complain about watching movies on it.

The Dell 30" (and it's Apple brother) require Dual-Link DVI ports. NOT Dual DVI, but Dual-LINK DVI. I'm not sure what the list of supported video cards are.

That's great that SpeeDj is running a 2407 with a 6600gt (how is he by the way?) but what resolution is he running the game at? The 2407 will automatically scale the image, so he could be running 800X1200 for all we know.

And finally, if you do any real in-depth research into monitors, you'll find the pixel refresh rates are not written in a standardized form. Each company can come up with whatever tests and almost random numbers they want and post them as fact. In fact, I don't beleive we have any truely <10ms screens yet unless you go CRT (which are about 2ms if I remember). But with companies quoting these bogus 6ms refresh rates by boiling up the numbers with some canned test...how are we to know?

pak, if you want a gaming monitor, look for a gaming monitor. Do the research, Tom's Hardware and Andandtech are doing REAL tests of these screens, and there are other forums that are heavily LCD related (generally for photography though) that will give you far better information.

If you want a quick and dirty suggestion, I'd check out the SCEPTRE x22wg-Gamer. It's made for what you are looking for, and will give you plenty of screen to enjoy!

Back