• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NIC - prob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-zealot-

Registered
hey ho :p
i got a strange "bug" @ my system, think the reason is oc/ my fsb to high therefore increasing the pci clock, too.
fsb=116mhz pci @ ~38.6 mhz

now the prob, my NIC, a Netgear FA310TX, won't receive any data from my adsl-router, at least IE can't show any html anymore, if i put the fsb @ 116

is this known, a regular problem or just a "bad" NIC?

thx for any posts

Welcome to the Forums!

Standard blurb: There are a bunch of articles and Beginners' Guides on the front page HERE Good stuff!

As far as the nic goes: I have run a bunch of 3Com nics, one Intel, a Dlink and some Realteks: the 3Coms and the Intel take whatever I can throw at them for fsb, the Realtek- chipped cheapos are 50/50: some will some won't, and the D-Link is doing okay at 145.

My point is that nics are like any other card: the guarantee to run at spec, 33mhz pci bus, but anything over that is more haphazard.
3Com and Intel seem to be safe bets: more money, but more likely to run at high bus speeds.

I run a lot of cheapo components, so I am used to being held back by this, but sometimes the cheaper stuff will go just as fast, its just a gamble! I put my most forgiving nics in the rigs that get the highest ocs, and use the ones that won't oc as well on cheaper boards/ systems that don't oc at high fsb.

thx

thx for your post, does any1 get such nice welcome greetings? :p
well, this NIC is a 35€ one, so i thought it would take some more mhz. sometimes, life is unfair :)

Around here we all try to greet anyone new with pleasant hellos, although once in a while someone slips through the cracks, so to speak!

Getting parts that will run out of spec reliably is pretty haphazard: getting better quality/ higher cost items is USUALLY a safer risk- but its still a risk!

The only ones I personally would bet money on are the 3Com and Intel nics. And chances are that once in a while one of them wouldn't cut it either!

:p

so cuz i'm a n00b, i'd like to say that i appreciate your effort(S) and that its r8 what you said. think if got to get a KT7a ;)

Newbie or not, around here everyone tries to help everyone else!

Some input on mobos, if you're thinking of replacing the one you have: I have a KT7a raid and its a good board: my TBird 1000@1400 runs nice on it! But I just picked up an Epox 8KHA+ Saturday, and an XP 1700 and that is a sweet combination: I can get the XP 1700 up to the same mhz as my 1800 (on an MSI K266 pro with the KT266 chipset) easy! The Epox board has the KT266a chipset, which is better than the 266, which is better than the KT133a on the Abit board. Of course you need ddr ram, but......

If you are sticking with sdram, the Abit board is solid in my book, though.

Check the forums out before you buy: all kinds of info and peoples opinions on different mobos and their results.

Also on the main page is the CPU database with results from different cpus to give you an idea of how well you may be able to do with different setups.

hm

hi there! :p
did you "just" increase fsb or the multiplicator, or a combo of both of them? that's what i'm planing with that KT7a :p
may be, i'll search a new NIC @ a huge pc selling show tomorrow...

so far...

Back